Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

8 year old Q camera and new cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TBerry
Tutor
Tutor

I occasionally use an 8 year old Q camera in my home.  I want to add a new wireless exterior camera.  I have no subscription with Arlo, but can view history for I believe 30 days without charge.  Questions:  First, will a new camera coexist with my old camera on my current Arlo app version 3.6.4 (3405)?  Second, will the new camera require an Arlo subscription in order to view history?   Finally, which wireless external camera would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TBerry wrote:

I occasionally use an 8 year old Q camera in my home.  I have no subscription with Arlo, but can view history for I believe 30 days without charge. 

The Q has 7-day free cloud storage (not 30).

None of the current cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) have free cloud storage.  So you will either need a subscription, or get a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) and use direct access to local storage.  Payback on the smarthub investment for a single new camera is marginal (around 3 years), and local storage has some annoying limitations.  So I'd suggest the single camera subscription.  https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

@TBerry wrote:

Questions:  First, will a new camera coexist with my old camera on my current Arlo app version 3.6.4 (3405)? 

Yes.

@TBerry wrote:

Finally, which wireless external camera would you suggest?

The least expensive model is the Arlo Essential - this is a 1080p camera that is fully sealed (no user replaceable battery).

Next up the line is the Pro 4.  This is a 2K camera, and has a replaceable battery.

The Ultra 2 is the 4K camera, also with a replaceable battery.  Unfortunately, it can't be connected to your home wifi - so you'd need to purchase a smarthub as well.

XL versions have a much larger battery, and are worth considering if you have a lot of activity in the area you are placing the camera.

One other option is the Pro 3 floodlight - which as the name suggests, has a floodlight instead of a much smaller spotlight.  It is similar to the Pro 4 in other ways - a 2K camera.

I'd suggest the Pro 4.  If price is a factor, then downgrade to the Essential.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TBerry wrote:

I occasionally use an 8 year old Q camera in my home.  I have no subscription with Arlo, but can view history for I believe 30 days without charge. 

The Q has 7-day free cloud storage (not 30).

None of the current cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) have free cloud storage.  So you will either need a subscription, or get a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) and use direct access to local storage.  Payback on the smarthub investment for a single new camera is marginal (around 3 years), and local storage has some annoying limitations.  So I'd suggest the single camera subscription.  https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

@TBerry wrote:

Questions:  First, will a new camera coexist with my old camera on my current Arlo app version 3.6.4 (3405)? 

Yes.

@TBerry wrote:

Finally, which wireless external camera would you suggest?

The least expensive model is the Arlo Essential - this is a 1080p camera that is fully sealed (no user replaceable battery).

Next up the line is the Pro 4.  This is a 2K camera, and has a replaceable battery.

The Ultra 2 is the 4K camera, also with a replaceable battery.  Unfortunately, it can't be connected to your home wifi - so you'd need to purchase a smarthub as well.

XL versions have a much larger battery, and are worth considering if you have a lot of activity in the area you are placing the camera.

One other option is the Pro 3 floodlight - which as the name suggests, has a floodlight instead of a much smaller spotlight.  It is similar to the Pro 4 in other ways - a 2K camera.

I'd suggest the Pro 4.  If price is a factor, then downgrade to the Essential.  

TBerry
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Stephan, your response was very helpful.