Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

1080p Video Ghosting...

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bignicknicknick
Tutor
Tutor
I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed with the 1080p video on my Arlo Q. Im connected to 5ghz Wifi (Full strength) and the objects in my videos look streaky.

The still image looks great but if a subject moves from left to right it has a ghosting effect and doesn't look clear. When doing 720p video it works as it should.

This is frustrating because I have 100/100 internet and the value of the Arlo Q is its 1080p recording feature. Does anyone have any advice/feedback similar to this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This is not the first time "ghosting" has been seen.... On Qs and Arlos.

Put in a trouble ticket to Netgear... more complaints equal better/quicker fixes.

That said, the ghosting effect has been narrowed down to a few reasons...

compression, server connections, data thruput, lost key frames are all prob part of a problem.  As you've seen , lowering the rez fixes the problem but you paid for 1080. Other time, you'll see if works fine and in some areas ( where I am , NY ) it use to happen and went away as i haven't seen it in a while.

All this gabber just means that it comes and goes at times and aren't prob on you end due to high data rates, that leaves the rest of possiblities tho.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This is not the first time "ghosting" has been seen.... On Qs and Arlos.

Put in a trouble ticket to Netgear... more complaints equal better/quicker fixes.

That said, the ghosting effect has been narrowed down to a few reasons...

compression, server connections, data thruput, lost key frames are all prob part of a problem.  As you've seen , lowering the rez fixes the problem but you paid for 1080. Other time, you'll see if works fine and in some areas ( where I am , NY ) it use to happen and went away as i haven't seen it in a while.

All this gabber just means that it comes and goes at times and aren't prob on you end due to high data rates, that leaves the rest of possiblities tho.

bignicknicknick
Tutor
Tutor
This is ridiculous. The camera is useless in 1080p.

Does Netgear even read these forums?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Did the reduction to 720 fix the ghosting???

(i know at peak with 1080, the Q can put out 1.5Mb per , tho your thruput shouldn't be a problem, is there any other possible interference ? .. can you turn off the 5ghz channel as a temp and force the Q to 2.4 as a test? )

Did you put in a trouble ticket to Netegear Support ?

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've seen this with an Arlo Pro. I changed the default quality to BEST and saw this ghosting on people movement. I figured it was because I changed the quality and so I changed it back to the medium quality and I don't see it happening anymore. Kinda stupid, and figured it was a throughput. My internet is 300MBPS, so it's not a bandwidth issue on my side.

bignicknicknick
Tutor
Tutor
720p fixed the issue.

I have 100/100 internet and have a full connection on 2.4ghz and 5ghz and it still ghosts with 1080p.

Also, the motion zones are a joke...I completely made it impossible for my dogs to set the motion sensors off yet I get alerted every time they move (and it's not an audio detection but a motion detection).
bignicknicknick
Tutor
Tutor
Actually, I take it back. 720p is acting up now too.

This camera is garbage. My "regular" Arlo's have been working well for the last year but the Arlo Q is unreliable awful.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I run 30/10 mb ... and have no ghosting at all. never ( tho I have seen it with Arlos )

Have you tried a trouble report thru Netgear ?  It is possible the camera has problems

bignicknicknick
Tutor
Tutor
I've read multiple threads about it in here so I don't think it's isolated to my Arlo Q.

I haven't reported anything theu Netgear. Any advice on how to do so best?

I thought they ready these forums.
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This issue happens with the Q Plus connected via Ethernet on Comcast Blast (12Mbps upload), so "Wi-Fi throughput" cannot be related to the issue.  The only way I have found 1080p to be funtional is to reset the camera at least once per day, and even then sometimes it still randomly happens.