Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Still confused about Local Storage on Arlo Q Plus

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ucrbuffalo
Follower
Follower

I am looking to buy an Arlo Q Plus in the near future, but need to get my research done first.  After lingering on this forum for sometime now, I'm still confused on how the Local Storage works.  Since it is powered over Ethernet, does it also send the video signal though the Ethernet? And if so, do I have to get a Pro Base in order for it to record locally? Or does it plug into another device somehow?

I currently have a ZFS-based media server and wondered if I could just record to that, or if it has to be FAT32, which I think I saw somewhere on here.  Additionally, does the device (whether media server, flash drive, hard drive, or otherwise) have to be dedicated to ONLY the camera.  I can add an additional "drive" in my server dedicated to only the camera storage, if that's an option.

I apologize if this is all on the forum, I've been reading for two days and my brain is starting to get a little fried...

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, Local storage is really a back up.... The videos are send to the cloud servers AND the mem card at the same time.  If the internet connection goes down , Q Plus continues to send the videos to the card ( as long as power ).  When internet come back the mem card stored videos are NOT synced tothe cloud severs

In order to view the card, you must eject it and access the mp4 files in a external device ( no direct view access off the card ) they are stand alone

Q camera do NOT require a base unit but the Arlo and ArloPRO do...reason for this is the Q cameras link to your home wifi and the Arlos link only to the base units ( base sets up its own wifi network for cameras ONLY )

**BTW, The Q PLUS has the mem card, the regular Q does not***

. The PRO Base only has an option for a usb drive ( HD or usb stick ) for storage in the same way as the Q Plus... no direct view from the usb drive, must eject to view externally... USB drive can be up to 2TB in fat32 format

You can't hook them into your home server storage

hope this helps

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation