Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Preliminary questions on the Arlo Q Plus

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mo_
Aspirant
Aspirant

Couple of questions regarding the Q Plus:

1) Does the Arlo Q Plus have to connect through an Ethernet cable directly coming from the wifi router? Or can it connect directly to the main Internet switch port?

2) The datasheet of the Arlo Q Plus states:

"All files are stored to the cloud, but you can use a micro SD card for backup in case of Internet interruption. Simply insert micro SD card and the backup is enabled automatically."

Will we be able to pick between storing the videos on the SD card or the Cloud? Or is it as understood from the datasheet, in that Cloud storage is the automatic first storage place, and the Camera will only subsequently record on the SD card if the internet is out?

3) Whatever the case, assuming there are some videos on the cloud and some on the SD card; will we be able to access the videos on the SD card when logged into our Arlo account (either on computer or smartphone)?

4) If so, will the videos be differentiable when being viewed and scrolled through (whether they are on the SD card or on the Cloud)?

Hope you can help.

Mo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mo_,

1. Arlo Q Plus can be connected to an available Ethernet/PoE port on your router or PoE router/switch via Ethernet cable. It can also be connected via wireless. It should not be connected to the Internet port. 

2. Files are saved to both so long as the microSD card is enabled and formatted. Automatic recording to the card happens by default when a card is inserted. If internet connection is lost, the camera will continue to record to the microSD card. By default the oldest  files get overwritten when the card reaches the last 20% of its capacity.

3/4. No. The only way to access the files on the card is to place the card into a card reader or card slot on a computer if the computer has that capability.

JamesC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have a Q Plus but I believe the way it would work is:

1) As long as the camera gets an IP address, how it connects is immaterial.

2) I'd like to think that storage would be on both the cloud and the SD card at the same time.

3) I'd think the videos on the SD card are directly viewable without any Arlo interface. If you had no Internet connection and it required the app, you'd be sunk.

4) The videos always have a timestamp on them. If the ones on the SD card are like the ones in the cloud, timestamps are in epoch time which you may need to translate to be human-readable (http://www.epochconverter.com).

But for REAL answers, a Netgear rep or an owner would have to jump in.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mo_,

1. Arlo Q Plus can be connected to an available Ethernet/PoE port on your router or PoE router/switch via Ethernet cable. It can also be connected via wireless. It should not be connected to the Internet port. 

2. Files are saved to both so long as the microSD card is enabled and formatted. Automatic recording to the card happens by default when a card is inserted. If internet connection is lost, the camera will continue to record to the microSD card. By default the oldest  files get overwritten when the card reaches the last 20% of its capacity.

3/4. No. The only way to access the files on the card is to place the card into a card reader or card slot on a computer if the computer has that capability.

JamesC

Michaeliberica
Tutor
Tutor
24h hours recording at the sd card is only possible if i upgrade my account.... is that correct

bad mistake for make money i think

netgear sells perfect cams with great app perfect quality and i can not make storage directly at the sd card

the sd card is only for backup if internet not works!
what kind of configuration is that

iam very angry in the moment!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Michaeliberica,

The Arlo Q Plus will record to the SD card if this feature is enabled when the internet connection is lost.

The CVR feature that you are referring to above (24 hour recording), does require an internet connection at this time.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation