Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus 'Your device is not connected' error

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kozzy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased an Arlo Q Plus, to add to my 3 wireless Arlo cams. I have this camera primarily to monitor delivery trucks driving up my driveway. I simply want to leave it live streaming continuously.
However, every 5-10 minutes, the camera disconnects and gives me the: 'Arlo your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection.' error
This happens on multiple PCs (with different browers, with and without virus scanner on) and also with the app. The camera shows full wifi signal. The camera is much closer to the router than my battery powered wireless Arlo camera's. I have reset the router, modem and Arlo cams multiple times.

I've contacted Netgear chat and the Netgear employee informed me that Netgear camera's have a failsafe, which causes the camera's to timeout randomly to save bandwidth:

'Live will Still Time out with the Arlo Q Plus, just a failsafe so that not too much bandwidth will be used on the network with this camera stored. [...] It is not in a fixed time, I am sorry but all of these camera are functioning through cloud so Internet time out, idle timeouts are always occuring.' 

I also have a normal IP camera, which can run for hours and hours without disconnecting. 

Kozzy> live streaming with the Arlo Q Plus camera is limited to approximately 10 minutes?
Jian: Yes, That is correct.

I was getting to return the Arlo Plus Q, when I noticed in different discussions on this forums, moderators have quoted a period of 30 minutes for this timeout. Does anyone have an idea whether or not Jian from Netgear is right, or whether something else may be wrong the the camera or the installation? 

Installing the wifi camera's was such a breeze. Quite ironic that a wired camera is proving to be much more of a hassle!

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

30 minutes for a wireless camera is true - saves the batteries. As for the Q, I've used live view while manually recording for over an hour.  I haven't tried just live view but I believe the same is true, just not for the battery part. There's always the CVR option but that's not realtime. I suppose it may be possible to watch CVR continuously, just back a couple of minutes, for longer but someone would have to test that.

Kozzy
Aspirant
Aspirant

For me the live view is the most important part. CVS is nice, but not useful when trying to keep an eye on people driving up the driveway. 

I am just not sure if it's the set up causing the errors, or the Arlo system. The information coming from Netgear is contradicting. I wouldn't mind having to refresh every 30 minutes, but every couple of minutes does get bothersome. It's a shame that this isn't covered by the product information anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Before answering, I tested this myself to see what's up.  My Q has been live viewing for over 30 minutes now with no issues.  You issue isn't one of how long live view lasts but disconnecting for some reason.  If live view stopped for a timeout, you wouldn't see a disconnected message but, rather, just the normal screen with a live view arrow.  I'd suggest a few things to try before returning to the store and swapping.

1) Check your WiFi signal where the camera is located.  Moving it some may help.  Is the LED showing purple by any chance?

2) Power cycle the camera.  Maybe it's in a goofy state.

3) Reset the camera using the reset button until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber.  Resync.

If these don't help, swap the camera at the store.

Kozzy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your message! I am also glad to read that my error message ins't consistent with the 'normal' timeout, that means there's a chance of solving it. 

1) The wifi signal in the area of the camera is excellent. It's showing the full 3 bars. It's about 3 feet from a wifi extender, which I placed there just to be sure. The led isn't purple (or flashing). It's currently not showing any sort of light as I have the Status Light disabled (and I read that wifi issue lights will show despite the Status Light being turned off)

2) Check, did that several times. 

3) I've also tried the reset. Kept the button reset for a long while and removed/added it again to my Arlo system

I'm afraid I may have purchased a lemon. I guess I will contact the seller on Monday to see if we can work out a solution. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Kozzy wrote:

I'm afraid I may have purchased a lemon. I guess I will contact the seller on Monday to see if we can work out a solution. 

If that's not possible, use the Support link above here and open a case for additional troubleshooting and a possible RMA.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation