Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New log in problems with web browser

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

There seem to have been some changes in the past week or so to either the camera software or the Arlo website. I always keep a browser tab open for my cameras. After an unspecified period of time the page tells me my session has expired and to log in again. Previously, this only required me to refresh the tab and my password manager would sign me back in within about 10 seconds.

Now, refreshing the tab takes me to a new screen with a big log in button (see pic). Clicking that takes me to the actual log in page where the password manager does its autofill thing. Then I have to re-allow Flash in Chrome and refresh the page again. By the time I can finally view the cameras it takes a full minute.

I didn't have to jump through all these hoops until very recently. What did Netgear do this time and why do they keep making these cameras less useful and less user friendly? Or is it just me?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't had to re-allow Flash after a fresh login but I'm testing to see if your procedure does the same to me.

Yes, I agree that the new "double login" is troublesome. If Flash needs to be re-enabled, that just adds to the issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, just tested and I see exactly what you're experiencing. The only suggestion I would have would be to keep that tab alive by periodically doing something on the page (select a different Arlo tab such as Mode) so the timer resets.

Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

How long before it times out? This seems like a software bug that could be addressed in a future update. Otherwise it's kind of a nuisance.

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Having same issue along with many others. Using Chrome... 

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Issues on IE as well... randomly shut down , now one camera constantly blinks full screen green

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I didn't test the timeout value but in the past it's been 10 minutes or so. It's a security feature that's always been implemented in case you walk away and forget that the display is open. I'm testing the timeout now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The timout is 30 minutes. You just need to provide some activity in the display to reset the clock.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joe-N wrote:

What did Netgear do this time and why do they keep making these cameras less useful and less user friendly? Or is it just me?

It hasn't been Netgear for a long time now (Arlo is a separate company).

It's not just you.  I believe they thought the changes would improve security.  But I agree they are less user friendly, and hope they act on the feedback here.

BTW, if you are are browsing to arlo.netgear.com, then you should switch to my.arlo.com.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation