Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
NewArloUser2016
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I am extremely satisfied with my two Arlo Qs.

They are placed within my wifi range but they receive a weak signal.

Everything works fine ; without interruptions at all.

I get the flashing purple led signal.

My problem is that when I turn off "Status Light" option from the device settings ; the led signal continues.

I would expect it to stop ?

Thanks in advance !

37 REPLIES 37
ektect
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have full bars on my wifi signal and still have the purple light flashing all the time.  The camera works fine.  

JamesC wrote:

After gathering clarification on this topic, this is expected behavior. The flashing purple LED indicates the camera is too far away from the router and will override the Status Light toggle in the camera settings.

JamesC 

When will this issue be fixed?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ektect,

How far away from your router is the Arlo Q? Does your WiFi indicator always show full bars? As stated, a flashing purple LED indicates the camera may be too far from the router. 

JamesC

ektect
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Q is only 15 feet away.  I never had issues at all with this before.  It seems numerous people are having the same issue and it is probably due to an update done by Arlo.  The camera works fine even though only 1 bar is showing.  

It is a wired unit and should not be flashing.  

If Arlo has no fix then I guess putting tape over the light is my only option.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ektect wrote:

My Arlo Q is only 15 feet away.  I never had issues at all with this before.  It seems numerous people are having the same issue and it is probably due to an update done by Arlo.  The camera works fine even though only 1 bar is showing.  

It is a wired unit and should not be flashing.  

If Arlo has no fix then I guess putting tape over the light is my only option.  

It seems that it appeared in the last few updates... And yes I put  white tape on mine too.

But JamesC did post a valid question as to the range of camera,

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
NickyB
Initiate
Initiate

I have two cameras, currently positioned about 2 feet apart, one of them had the blinking LEDs and one doesn't. I have turned the status light off on both.  Funny thing is, according to the status on the website, the one that is blinking has higher wifi strength. Clearly this is something wrong with the camera/software and not the wifi strength at all.  I will be returning this camera if this is not resolved. Hey BURGLAR..look at the blinking light on the camera!!! How ridiculous. 

bTaryag
Tutor
Tutor

I also have these 2 issues.

1. Status light blinks even though I told it not to. I don't care what the rationale is - if I set the status light to off, it should be off. Period.

2. The Arlo is around 20 feet from the router and it works just fine. Everything else that distance also works fine. So why is the Arlo claiming not to have a good connection?

Please fix these!

steveski07
Tutor
Tutor

Can you post a status update on this issue since it has been 2 months?  Like others have said, I get the point behind letting us know we are far away from our router, but it's pretty clear in the app what the signal is.  If we choose to turn the LED off, it should be off.  It's my fault if I choose to turn off the notification LED and also choose to keep my camera far from my router.  It's on Netgear if I tell them to turn the LED off and it doesn't.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While philosophically I agree with you, the label is for the status light which is the blue LED.  The low wireless signal indication isn't exactly the status light (yeah, I know we can argue semantics all day long).

WHile it's silly, just put a piece of tape over the LED and be done with it. "You only have so much emotional ammunition.  Use it wisely."  Copyright Bill Fearnside

Ziipppp
Aspirant
Aspirant
New user here - replacing a dropcam. Unboxed and installed today. I too have the flashing purple light (I updated the fiware before checking). But Airport utility says my routers connection to the device is "Excellent", my phone registers between 3 (full) and two bars - so coverage seems good. And live video plays with no stuttering. So. Looking at this purple flashing light as a feature not a bug - warning people my garage is guarded. But never had this issue with dropcam in the same location. Its a bit disconcerting. Ive restarted the camera, reset the wifi, not sure what else to do.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That piece of tape works. Also, try moving the camera around some to see if a slightly different location works.
TrulsZK
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here. Just cover it with electrical tape. Although I hope they will firmware update to resolve this
Mads
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree - when will this be fixed.....?

growint
Initiate
Initiate

Here we are ONE YEAR LATER on this forum discussion, and same issue with blinking purple light and full service bars.  Clearly there is no intention of fixing this. This was a 2nd one I purchased for my bedroom and am thinking of return it. I should not have to tape it off.