Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connections drop randomly, recordings stop in the middle of movement

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

I have 3 Arlo Q Plus cameras, and have had nothing but problems. Connections drop randomly, recordings stop in the middle of movement, the video pixelates badly at around 12 seconds, live view doesn’t work consistently, motion sensitivity is very poor.
Netgear support has been useless in resolving these issues. I've been waiting since Oct. 12th for "engineering" to get back to me with some solutions. So far, *CRICKETS*!
There have been two incidents that were caught on video. Both times critical details were missed by the camera not working properly or not recording ongoing activity.
If you need a security system, DO NOT buy these cameras. They are for novelty purposes only.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The symptoms you describe imply interference with the WiFi signal, whether due to distance, building construction or 2.4GHz devices messing with the signal. Depending on your circumstances, you may be better off using the Ethernet capability the Q+ possesses. That would eliminate the WiFi signal issue completely although with the added complexity of wiring.

Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

We've pretty much ruled out any local connectivity issues. The cameras are currently on 5.0GHz. I did a test by temporarily wiring one camera directly to the router, but it didn't solve any of the problems. At one point, I even had a Netgear tech connect to my computer and review the settings. He also confirmed that all the wifi signals were well within operating tolerances. I've switched cameras from one location to another several times and changed from 1080 to 720. Nothing helps.

Obviously, from all the other complaints, pixelation at 12 seconds is a well known defect. Netgear needs to fix that. My biggest problem is with how the recordings just cut off after about 20 seconds, even though motion is ongoing. I did an experiment by walking back and forth across the field of view for a full 3 minutes. I captured 20 secs. at the begining, then nothing for over a minute before it recorded another 20 secs. The cameras are all set to record as long as there is motion.

The constant babysitting to make sure a camera hasn't disconnected, or showing a message that I can only view a maximum of 5 cameras (I only have 3), is extremely annoying. I expected a lot better performance out of an expensive system.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation