Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Matthew_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi There, please forgive me as I'm not really a technology solution minded person.

I have bought a Arlo system that had 3 of the original Arlo wireless cams for a retail outlet. I then did some research and found that the Arlo Q Plus was probably better suited for what I wanted, mainly being continuous recording rather than hundreds of short videos every day.

So I have bought 3 Arlo Q Plus as the PoE feature really appealed to me from an ease of installation perspective rather than having to run power cables and outlets to each cam. Now, where I need help is, do i just run 1 ethernet cable from the Arlo hub to another router and then run 3 ethernet cables from the router to each of the Arlo Q Plus and that will be enough to power them or do i have to run 3 cables from the back of the Arlo hub to each of the Q Plus cameras?

Or if someone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.. I just want to have a better understanding before I get the electrician to run the cable. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Q+ will run with both, wifi or cable.

If you are going to run ethernet cables to the Q cams, you need one for each camera to your router/switch..in order to use POE ( power over ethernet ) your router must support same.... POE puts the power in the unsed wires of the ethernet cable to feed same to the Q+.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Q+ will run with both, wifi or cable.

If you are going to run ethernet cables to the Q cams, you need one for each camera to your router/switch..in order to use POE ( power over ethernet ) your router must support same.... POE puts the power in the unsed wires of the ethernet cable to feed same to the Q+.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, you seem to be indicating that you're trying to use the wireless Arlo base.  It has no use for the Q cameras - only for the wireless ones.  The Ethernet connection can come from your router or a switch, either of which would need to support PoE, as Tom says.  Thus, you'd run 3 Ethernet cables from your router, if appropriate, or add a switch and run the cables from there.  One cable would be sufficient to connect the switch to the router.

Matthew_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank to both of you for your response. Ok, so the purpose of the Ethernet cable is only to provide power to the Q Plus cam and I will then connect the cam by wifi to the rest of the Arlo system I already have installed?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Matthew_B wrote:

Thank to both of you for your response. Ok, so the purpose of the Ethernet cable is only to provide power to the Q Plus cam and I will then connect the cam by wifi to the rest of the Arlo system I already have installed?

No... it has nothing to do with the Arlo base

The Q cameras can be powered by the USB adapter and cable you plug in and run on wifi to your home wifi system

OR

You can use an ethernet cable to the camera ( with POE if available ) and that would go to your router/switch to internet

If you don't have power over ethernet, you'll still have to power the cameras some how.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation