Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus Records to SD Card even w/o WiFi? Can Netgear add username + password support option?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
snarfel
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I got an Arlo Q Plus and updated to runing the latest firmware on my house WiFi, formatted and setup the SD card and armed it to run when I'm off shift. I got it to place in my cubicle since I have a few valuables. However my work uses a username and password (WPA2-Enterprise, EAP-PEAP, MSCHAPv2) and the app/device only supports a basic network name + password option in the app. Thus, Arlo Q+ can't connect to work WiFi because the app doesn't support user + password. Since I've armed it at home w/ a schedule, is it still armed when it's not connected to the internet at work (it just writes to the SD card)? It currently just blinks amber even though when at home I disabled the LED so I'm not sure if it caches any of the configs locally...

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a good question. Since you set it up elsewhere and then powered it down and moved it, I don't know if it will record or not. I'd try it to see. Also, since this is a Q+, you can use Ethernet instead of WiFi which should solve the authentication issue if you have a second port in your cubicle. I suspect you'll need to reset the camera and start fresh using Ethernet to make it work. You may be able to use PoE or just use the power supply but connect appropriately and then set up - don't try to switch after being setup.

snarfel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried ethernet/PoE, but the one active jack in my cube doesn't work for the Arlo Q+ (I suspect only company laptops are whitelisted on the wired network for security reasons). Forunately we can self service our own devices for WiFi...it's just that they have to use WPA2-Enterprise and PEAP instead of whatever the Arlo app uses. I guess I'll see after Chrstimas break if it recorded anything like the night janitorial staff that I know pass through the cube isle.

Kind of disappointed a networking company like NetGear doesn't allow for flexible WiFi configuration.

snarfel
Aspirant
Aspirant

It looks like the answer is no. Connected it back to my home wifi and after updating to latest firmware it showed no new recordings (I would expect recordings of people's heads above the cube walls). I guess at this point it's just a deterent by being visible until they support wifi over WPA2-Enterprise, EAP-PEAP, MSCHAPv2 Cat Frustrated

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation