Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
svu
Tutor
Tutor

Such a great product but one major flaw for a $200 camera. Live View has a lag of 5-10 seconds. I know this topic has been discussed but most people are saying it is something that happens to all live view. I dissagree...my Foscam C1 $50 camera has ZERO lag on Live View and it starts up faster than the Arlo. I want something that connected to my home Automation system and that is why I chose the Arlo. But for it to be slower than a cheaper brand is dissapointing.

What is the point of having 2 way audio if live view has a lag?

I am surprised it has not been fixed yet. Why not start the live view first before sending recorded motion clips to the server?

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

svu,

Arlo Q must connect to the Arlo cloud when initiating a live stream. This results in a slight delay in the live stream.

JamesC

svu
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

Does netgear plan on solving this delay issue? What is the point of advertising live stream and two way audio if audio can not sync with live stream?

LucR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your lucky at 1080p my lag is 30 - 35 sec and at 720p is 20 - 25 sec, and cost me $300 here in Canada. Tried disconnecting power from camera and reinstalling the app but made no differance, I'll probably return it as the geofencing doesn't work either 😞

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LucR,

This is not normal behavior. Who is your ISP and what is your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

svu
Tutor
Tutor

I am on FiOS 50mbps down/up. So it shouldn't be anything with my internet because all my devices work perfect speed including the $50 Foscam C1 that has zero delays on live view.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Lag can also be due to the connection between the camera and your router. Temporarily move the camera closer to the router to see if that works better.
jslanger
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same camera, and though it will stream "live" the stream has to leave your home, go to the Netgear servers, and then out to your device to see it on.  When I stream to my cell phone, within my own home, I get about a 4-5 second delay.  I think I have a 60Mb/s download and 7 Mb/s upload speed...which should be more than adequate.  This lag, which doesn't seem too significant, makes the advertized 2-way audio useless, and the camera is useless for its intended purpose (watching my 3 year old playing in the playroom in the basement).

Unfortunately, Netgear seems to be quite stubborn about this issue.  They have apparently (and I have not used the new-ish device myself) come out with Arlo Baby, which allows direct to device streaming, like just about EVERY other home camera out there.  Yet the ability to do this on any other camera is not available.

I still hope that they will come to their senses and allow this ability for their customers at some point.

genpad
Tutor
Tutor

It is not a connectivity issue since I have the same problem, but my Arlo Q Plus is wired with an ethernet cable and my connection is FTTH 100Mbps up/ down. I have the same lag around 5-10 sec.

So, definitely, it is an issue with the network from my ISP server towards the Netgear cloud server and most probably it is also a firmware glitch.

Is there anything I can improve the performance? I really expected much more of such high-end device.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

genpad,

5-10 seconds to connect to the Live Stream is normal behavior. The camera must establish a connection to the Arlo cloud before initiating a stream, this results in a slight delay before the stream starts.

JamesC

jslanger
Initiate
Initiate
I don't think that is the complaint...the 5-10 seconds to connect to the camera we all understand is normal. However, the delay between live events and what is seen on your device is the problem. I have timed it standing in front of my camera. With the feed already active, there is about 5 second delay between me doing something and what shows on a screen (computer or cellphone, it is the same delay).

As I understand it, this is due to the requirement to send the stream to the Netgear server first and then back out to the device you are viewing it on instead of a direct streaming method. This is the delay that people are complaining about.
genpad
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

I understand that might be normal behavior when initiating the video stream, but I am talking when the video is already initiated and I am viewing it in real time for some time - 20-30minutes for example. Similar to what jslanger said, I am seeing a lag of 5-10 sec when the video stream is already initiated for some time, I am sitting on the chair and then stand up. The movement (video) and sound on the camera are displayed with 5-10 sec delay. That's true in all scenarios: having ARLO connected wirelessly, having it connected via ethernet cable, watching the video from the Android app when connected via high-speed WIFI or LTE, or via browser (chrome) on my MAC connected via wireless or ethernet cable.

By the way, according to you Netgear Support team, this is NOT a normal behavior of the cameras. Right now, I am investigating it with your tech support team.

Statiklicious
Aspirant
Aspirant
@netgear Any update on this issue? I am seeing the same lag.
xflying
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue as well. Very disappointed with a camera that cost $300.

I had other cameras that's cost only $30 and it stream real time flawlessly without any delay.
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation