Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

winter weather

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
cmallen
Tutor
Tutor

my cameras say they need to warm up.  Is there a way to keep them warm., otherwise they are useless in winter

7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

What are the temperatures in the area that you live that are giving you trouble?

Other than building some kind of housing around them with some insulation inside I can't think of anything at the moment. I used a plastic electrical box and cut out a hole just big enough for the front of camera to peek through and put some insulation around the camera, but I probably only gained about 5 degrees at best.

Brian

cmallen
Tutor
Tutor

Currently in my area of Ontario, it is -21 and windchill its -27  I was thinking of bubble wrap...  I dont really know.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cams will shut down at -4 F ( -20c IIRR)....

this is the operating low end spec for the cameras. No boxing or bubble wrap Is going going to make much difference. They will come back as the temp rises tho.

( windchill doesn't effect cameras )

The only thing that will work is some form of external heat source that keeps the cam above that temp... At this time Netgear has nothing and anything non approved by them could hinder warranty if something goes wrong. Esp since it is going to have to powered by ac to work long term

When I installed high cams, they were in containers with heaters and fans running on 12v dc from a transformer.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
cmallen
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you so much for the information.  I guess I'll pray for an early spring!

Haulero
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only thing I've noticed in this cold weather, 10 degrees in the AM here in my area. Batteries don't last as long as in hot weather. I have to recharge them 3 times a month, may be more depending on the camera (activity)

brh
Master
Master

I think that if you were creative, you could fabricate some sort of metal enclosure - one compartment for the camera and another compartment with a heater,(such as a birdbath heater or even a lightbulb inside. The lightbulb would not need to be visible, just needs to provide heat, but if it were visible it might enhance your night vision. The only thing in the camera compartment is only the face of the camera needs to be not blocked.

Just a quickly conceived idea.

Brian

cmallen
Tutor
Tutor

Well, thank you Brian!  You give me more credit than I deserve 🙂  1st of all, I'm old., not ancient, but older.  Secondly your suggestion would be perfect if I had a clue how to fashion anything in metal OR install a light bulb.  But, saying that, I think its a great suggestion for a young man to make in his workshop.  lol  I have since learned that all security cameras have different ratings which apply to weather conditions.  

Thanks again, and have a great day!  We are having a heat wave here this week and looks like we could reach 4C on Thursday at which time the cameras will kick in again.  Spring is only 3 months away.