Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

suddenly all camera batteries went to 0 % charge. Now 1 camera refuses to charge

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

All Pro camera have latest firmware.  A couple of days ago my 3 cameras all went to 0% charged overnight. I was able to recharge 2 of them but the third one wont charge.  It works on direct voltage from the Arlo charger when I remove the battery so I suspect the battery has failed.  How does one check the battery status?  Has anyone else had this sudden drop in battery power over 3 devices at once?

17 REPLIES 17
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Peedeer

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

The remaining camera operates in the direct power mode (no battery). 

When checked with a multi-meter the battery shows a voltage of 3.58 VDC and 6.46 VDC between the top (positive) and two lower connectors (bottom and inner). The lower +ve connector has no voltage between it and either -ve connector so I suspect that only the top connector is positive and the 2nd one down is a negative, as it reads as 3.62 VDC.

Does anyone know what the battery voltages should be between the four connectors?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried to put that battery in one of the other cameras to see if it still refuses to charge? 

Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

The battery from the camera that doesn't charge works fine in another camera.  Thus it seems to be a camera issue - this is with a 3 and a half year old camera which has only had periodic use.  As the camera in question still keeps flashing orange every 15 seconds someone must know what is wrong with it?

Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also, when a known good charged battery is inserted into the camera it flashes blue for 12 flashes.  After that the camera immediately goes back to flashing orange twice every 15 seconds.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The slow amber flash means a low battery status. Given the troubleshooting you've done it seems that the camera has an issue with the battery connection. If cleaning the contacts doesn't help, running off AC power would seem to be the best way to keep it working.

Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will clean the camera contacts and let this forum know the result next week.

Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol.

Same result - put in a charged battery and camera flashes 12 blues then orange every 20 seconds thereafter. Does not show battery status.  Charge direct with cable and get the plug icon and camera works.  Take out the power cable and camera continues to show plug icon while still doing the orange flash every 20 secs.

Surely someone at Arlo must know what is wrong with this camera ?????????? other than to say use it with a direct power supply.  That's not why I bought it almost 3 years ago.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Electronic devices go bad at various points. There's "infant mortality" and then some never break. Since it's out of warranty, you can either use it plugged in or buy another camera.

Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I realise electronic products fail eg capacitors blow etc.  HOWEVER, this is appears as a logic issue in that the camera works, it recognises when a battery is inserted (numerous blue flashes) but it then disconnects from the power.  What I am saying is someone at Arlo must know what the issue is.  This is an expensive piece of kit and it should perform to meet standards. 

In NZ and Australia we have the consumer guarantees act and a product such as this must last for at least 4-5 years or the manufacturer must replace it.

I am posting this to let others know what can happen to their Arlo kit and how the manufacturer will support their problems.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Just to be a smarty capacitors usually dry out with long term operation, say ten years. E.g. The pc p.s. capacitors expands as their internal resistance increases and so absorb more heat.
These devices electronically should last 10 years unless there is a latent fault which the manufacturer should make a recall for any safety concerns.
So it is likely a firmware issue that a factory reset of the camera should fix.
To speculate it would seem the camera thinks the battery is not connected or under recovery voltage so will not charge for safety reasons.
Suggest removing the battery, power externally and place near the base for 10mins. Then install the battery and wait another 10min to see if the battery gets recognised.
Peedeer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried the above but no luck. After the 10 minutes on just external power I put the battery back in.  As usual I got a few blue flashes then the amber flashes went to every 45 seconds and then after a couple of cycles went back to every 15 seconds.  I now get a statement on the app that the battery is unable to be charged.  I am loath to try another battery again in case whatever is wrong with the camera affects then next battery I put into it. 

So at this stage I have to give up and just use external power from the transformer that came with the set.  I may buy another new battery (thus under warranty) and try that, so if that that battery malfunctions due to camera issues I can at least claim my $ back on the new battery failing.

Dannybear
Master
Master
It is possible that the battery has a dodgy cell, this could occur if the battery has been discharged below 5% thus needing to be re-prime again.
When you had it near the base station did you do a manual resync of the camera, forgot to add this step.
BJR1956
Aspirant
Aspirant

All 4 of my batteries will not take a charge, I tried to order new batteries, but was refused because of no shipments to Canada.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Singsling
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same problem, same age cameras. All 4 of mine went to zero around 7 pm. I’m recharging them now. They seem to charge. Firmware? Engineered obsolescence ?
Dannybear
Master
Master
If the cameras loose connection to the base station wifi they will likely keep trying and quickly drain battery.

A lost connection could be a result of local wifi interference from another wifi source or the base station wifi failure. It is also possible for one of the cameras wifi to cause interference to other cameras if it has lost the plot.

I also know that sometimes the cameras can continuously stream for 5min at a time which do also drain battery but you would notice the draining event over a day or two.

Pull the battery for 10sec to reset each camera and power cycle the base station and router modem to start with.