Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
PaulTopping
Guide
Guide

My Arlo Pro's night vision works fine, especially after adjusting the motion sensitivity. However, the IR illumination is not strong enough for my use. I'm looking for an auxiliary IR lamp. There are a lot available but I have yet to find one that uses a battery with life similar to my Arlo Pro. Many require an AC adapter but I don't want to string an extension cord across my yard. Any recommendations?

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I guess this is what you're looking for, though they're not cheap

brinno motion activated infrared illuminator

PaulTopping
Guide
Guide

Yes, that's one of the ones I found too. At $100 it does seem overpriced. I suspect it is because it is sold as an accessory to the company's camera. You know how they like to jack up the prices on "matching" accessories. I was hoping some off-brand company made a similar product but I've yet to find it. There are many, many AC-powered IR illuminators and battery powered ones for use with video cameras that last only a few hours. I'll hold out hope a little longer before breaking down and getting this Brinno one or simply going without. Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I think many powered lights are 12 volts so you could use a small car or garden tractor type batter to power them.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Are you dead set on getting IR illuminators? Around my backyard, I have some motion activated lights that look similar to the brinno ones but run off 4x AA batteries and cast visible light. I think they were around $10-15 each but have no adjustability in length of time they stay on for (30s)

PaulTopping
Guide
Guide

Visible light would be a problem. I have a flood control channel behind my house with a gravel service drive between my fence and the water. The drive is used by service vehicles and the occasional person walking their dog (not often as it is locked to public access). Various wild animals also use the gravel drive, especially at night. We know it is used by squirrels, cats (including ours), skunks, possums, and others. We are particularly interested to see if coyotes pass by as they would prey on our cats. If the light was visible, it would change the animals' behavior, possibly scaring them off before they are caught by the camera. Also, someone might try to steal my Arlo Pro! It is currently hidden by a tree's foliage.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

How about 2x Arlo Pro cameras from different angles. You could set up rules in a custom recording mode eg

Camera A motion detection causes Camera A to record for 60s

Camera B motion causes Camera B to record for 60s

Camera A motion causes Camera B to record for 90s

Camera B motion causes Camera A to record for 90s

Then you've got more of the area covered, more of the area illuminated with IR, but also more cost

Just thinking laterally. Might not be as much IR light as a dedicated light but also the additional expense might be worth considering