Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
guice
Guide
Guide

I was making some updates to settings remotely via the web interface while at work. Now "This Arlo device is offline" -- what happened? It's been over 30 minutes now, and it's still not back up... 

My home network is fine. My router is fine. Everything at home is fine (I can remote desktop to my PC at home just fine). The station is still online -- my camera is not.

This is a brand-new device -- just bought and set it up last night. This isn't a good first introduction to a new product... It was working just fine all this morning, until I started making settings changes. 😕 

I'm remote; I can't do the whole reset rigamaroo (again). I've had to do the "disconnect battery" reset three times last night setting this up... 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
guice
Guide
Guide

A final update to this issue: turned out to be a hardware issue. Netgear did a speedy RMA turnaround once issue was identified by them. The new camera has been running solid for the last few days now without any issues.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Did you try remotely rebooting your base station? You can do that from the Arlo web interface.  Login to the arlo website https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login and then click on settings, then click your base station, then click "restart".  It will reboot and this will cause everything to attempt to reconnect once it comes back up.  I've had my system for about 6 weeks and have had no issues at all with camera's not connecting and such. 

guice
Guide
Guide

The fiencé is at home now. I had him pull the battery and replace it. "Battery Reset" -- that worked. Why isn't the camera connecting itself back up successfully? This sounds like a firmware problem on the camera itself.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I have not had that issue on my system, and I'm using 5 arlo cameras.  What version of firmware are you on? I'm on 1.090.0.0_9945.

You can check this under Devices/Device Info

guice
Guide
Guide

Same: 1.090.0.0_9945

Updated just last night. It actually failed this update, too -- never came back after 10 minutes of "Updating firmeware." I had to do a bettery-reset to get it back running...

I'll keep an eye on this. Maybe it's a hardware problem.... I hope not.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

That's strange.  When it updated the firmware, was the camera still close to the base? When I got my system, I synced everything in the house (as it instructed) and then let them "bake" while they all updated.  Once they were updated and reconnected, then I took them outside and mounted them.  Also, my cameras are well within the 300 foot range of the base station.  That might be another consideration, perhaps try moving your base to a more central location.  My house has a wireless router and a WAP (wireless access point).  Since most of my cameras were near the front, i moved it closer to the front and all 5 of my cameras are showing full 5 bars.  Do all of your cameras appear to have a good connection? If not, maybe consider moving the base. Just a thought.

guice
Guide
Guide

Yeah, I was definitely close enough: I was sitting in our office, right next to the base station.

I'll keep an eye on things. So far, twice the camera seemed to have died and failed to restart itself... Admittedly, I do "abuse" my production: I go click crazy, expecting immediate responses. I click through all the menus, check out all the settings, update items, hitting back/forward/revert... I'm like a little QA engineer when it comes to a new device. I put it through the rigger. ^_^ 

guice
Guide
Guide

Through no interation on our part, our camera went offline again. 😞 

PS: I ran a restart of the hub, and that did not work.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I'm not an Arlo engineer but it sounds like your camera has some type of hardware/firmware problem.  If you recently purchased these I would go back and exchange it.  Alternatively, you can contact the support folks and open a ticket to see if they can assist you on that.  It's definitely not normal behavior.

guice
Guide
Guide

Done. In the event any official engineer sees this post, case # 27832112

guice
Guide
Guide

Arlo Pro camera dropped offline again today. It was fine this morning. When I took a look at 2pm today, it was showing "Offline"

Is there anyway to debug this? Can I look at logs? Can I do a manual reset of firmware? How can I troubleshoot this other than sit helpless while I wait for support to finally get around to my issue... 

I'm a software engineer... I just need a way onto the camera, and I can play with it myself.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

guice,

I have reviewed your case and it appears an RMA has been issue for your camera. Please refer to your open support case for more information.

JamesC

guice
Guide
Guide

A final update to this issue: turned out to be a hardware issue. Netgear did a speedy RMA turnaround once issue was identified by them. The new camera has been running solid for the last few days now without any issues.

Thanks!

oldstoneface
Guide
Guide

I appear to be having the exact same issue. 3 of my cameras are working fine, but the 4th one continues to go off-line and the only way to get it working is unplug the battery which is not easy as it is mounted on my roof. I submitted a trouble ticket and hope an RMA fixes the problem. Thanks for this post as it saved me tons of time trying to figure out what is going on.

zri
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having this same problem but don't see an option to reboot the base station. When I go to Settings and click on my base station, it just says, "This Arlo device is offline." Is there another way to access this feature? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Nope. Your physical presence will be required unless someone else has access.
oldstoneface
Guide
Guide

Netgear's troubleshooting and RMA process is a joke. After 2 weeks of troubleshooting and jumping through hoops (they failed on more than one occasion to follow-up with me and I had to call in several times), we discovered that I was having problems with both the battery and camera, however when they sent me the RMA info (after I had to ask for it twice) they only sent it to replace the camera. Furthermore, they require me to send in my camera first before the will send a replacement. If I have to send my camera in first, why did I just spend all this time troubleshooting while climbing up and down a ladder to isolate the problem? Wouldn't it have been easier for me to just send it in and let them troubleshoot? Plus, I spent over $600 on this setup and I would expect them to send me the replacement first (especially for an out of box failure) so I can send back the items in their packaging at their cost, while also ensuring I had working cameras rather than making me wait any longer than I already have. I'm regretting not just going with a Nestcam setup and spending the money to run wiring as I know Google has a flawless RMA process. I will update once they finally send me the replacement camera and battery (and might even have a gently used Arlo camera for resale shortly).