Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ahipsley
Initiate
Initiate

Hello Arlo Community!

I'm trying to decipher the point of an outdoor camera when they can't withstand the cold? It's only 25° F outside right now. Ohio can get as low as -10° F. Should I be concerned about this winter? Is there any possible way around this? All 10 of my Arlo Pro cameras have this error and will not charge. Does anybody have any recommendations? Is it safe to say that these cameras aren't "Winterproof"? Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,

AnnMarie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Ahipsley wrote:

Hello Arlo Community!

Does anybody have any recommendations? Is it safe to say that these cameras aren't "Winterproof"?

The batteries are the weak link lies. Too cold and chemistry slows down. Apart from creating an insulating enclosure, the only solution for Arctic temperatures seems to be to remove the batteries from the process.

If you can find an outdoor power supply – Arlo makes them – this will still deliver power as the temperature drops. You can even remove the batteries from the cameras. But leave them in and the charger may deliver enough current to keep them warm enough to maintain a charge.

One advantage of this is that on "mains" power cameras can offer functions that are not possible on battery power.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Ahipsley wrote:

Hello Arlo Community!

Does anybody have any recommendations? Is it safe to say that these cameras aren't "Winterproof"?

The batteries are the weak link lies. Too cold and chemistry slows down. Apart from creating an insulating enclosure, the only solution for Arctic temperatures seems to be to remove the batteries from the process.

If you can find an outdoor power supply – Arlo makes them – this will still deliver power as the temperature drops. You can even remove the batteries from the cameras. But leave them in and the charger may deliver enough current to keep them warm enough to maintain a charge.

One advantage of this is that on "mains" power cameras can offer functions that are not possible on battery power.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Ahipsley
Initiate
Initiate

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for this solution! All of my outdoor Arlo cameras have already been hard-wired prior by me! I'm going to test it out by removing the batteries! Hopefully this can fix my issue. I'll keep you posted. It sounds reasonable to me. I completely forgot about how they function without a battery while plugged in. I also didn't realize that the battery chemistry was the culprit. I appreciate this so much 😄

All the best,

AnnMarie

storgeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

All batteries have issues with extreme Temps.  I have the opposite problem in sunny AZ.  When our Temps get upwards of 115, the batteries won't charge either.