Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

modes and geofencing

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cdenjoylife62
Follower
Follower

Hi 

I have 4 cameras and one base station. Arlo Pro. I have tried MULTIPLE things to set this up correctly and usually fail and give up. Here is my problem. I have set up 2 modes. I would like:

1 camera to monitor the outside (with geofencing) to be monitoring while I am away AND at home. 

3 cameras to monitor the inside (with geofencing) only to be monitoring while I am away

I have created 2 modes. One mode for the outside monitoring and one mode for the inside monitoring. When i turn on the geofencing the inside camera monitor movement WHILE i am home. The camera that is to monitor the outside activity does not monitor at all (with movement). I have the outside camera actually in a ledge pointing through a window to the front door stoop. Not sure if this positioning is a problem. I don't think so because when I do live monitoring, I see the trees moving. 

please help

C Dolenc

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo pro cameras rely on a PIR sensor to detect motion. The infrared motion detection doesn’t work very well through glass which is likely why your not getting any motion triggering on the front door camera.

You should consider repositioning the camera outside to cover the door entryway.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cdenjoylife62 wrote:

I have set up 2 modes. I would like:

1 camera to monitor the outside (with geofencing) to be monitoring while I am away AND at home. 

3 cameras to monitor the inside (with geofencing) only to be monitoring while I am away

I have created 2 modes. One mode for the outside monitoring and one mode for the inside monitoring.

What you actually need is the mode for outside montoring, and the built-in armed mode that arms everything.

Then use "armed" for the geofencing "away" mode, and the outside mode for geofencing "home".

@cdenjoylife62 wrote:

I have the outside camera actually in a ledge pointing through a window to the front door stoop.

That almost never works.  As @DannyBearAgain says, the camera uses passive infrared (PIR) sensors for motion detection.  Almost all window glass blocks the IR from reaching the camera.