Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Camera: battery charging issue and non existent customer service

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pahemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Model Info:

- Arlo Pro VMC4030 (2 of these)

- Battery A-1 (3 of these, 1 new battery)

- Charging adapter 5V,2amp (2 of these, both received from Arlo: Netgear, Arlo)

- Cable (2, both received from Arlo)

I have S/Ns if needed.

Issue 1 Description:

After owning this camera and 2 of the 3 batteries for approx 2 years, 2 cameras stopped being able to charge and received the following error: "unable to charge battery. connect a compatible Arlo charger to charge."

We disconnected and reconnected the cable up to 7 times, no change.

We reseated the battery, leaving it out for 10-20 seconds, no change.

We inspected the internal contacts, ribbon cable, battery charger contacts, no issues seen.

We changed outlets, no change.

We then attempted different cable for both cameras, both batteries, no change.

We then attempted different adapter for both cameras, both batteries, no change.

Noting that this cable and adapter was received recently from Arlo for another, newer camera (approx 3 months ago).

We used a non Arlo adapter and cable for both cameras, both batteries, no change.

We used a newer battery in both cameras (same A-1 model) that was received from Arlo for another, new camera, as stated above. We used all combinations of cables, adapters, outlets for this battery in both cameras.

No change.

And just to sum up our troubleshooting efforts above, I want to make it clear that we used every different combination of batteries, cameras, cables, adapters, outlets that is possible. Make no mistake, no shortcuts were taken here.

One more troubleshooting step:

We took out the battery and plugged in the charger and the blue light flashed, and is reporting a charging status on the App.

I believe this rules out camera hardware and most likely points to all three batteries being incompatible or bad, even the new one we received a couple months ago.

Issue 2 Description:

Attempted to use the site to find customer service number.

Used the Chat function, as that was the only thing available.

I waited on Chat for over 2 hours.

Initially it said there were 7 people waiting ahead of me. 

After 1 hour, there were 4 people waiting ahead of me.

After 1 more hour (at hour 2), there were still 4 people waiting ahead of me.

I re-initialized a new chat and it then said there were 8 people waiting ahead of me.

Needless to say, I gave up.

I never did get to speak with someone about this which is why I am writing this.

And yes, I will attempt again another day.

Overall, for the past 2 years we have been happy with Arlo products and have never had to use customer service.

However, with this new issue we have seen which demanded assistance, we are not happy.

Also, the products seem to be either getting worse or don't last very long.

Our products are coming to the end of life and we are very hesitant to continue using Arlo products.

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What voltage is labeled on the arlo pro batteries?

If they are a 7.2v battery a standard 5v adapter will not charge the battery but will run the camera.

For the 7.2v batteries you will need a QC charger that came with the camera, likely a Qualcomm branded unit that can charge at the higher voltage.

pahemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

They are all rated 7.2V

However, we were able to charge 2 out of the 3 batteries (the third was a new spare and we never tried until now) prior to seeing this issue.

Also, we are using the charger that came with the Arlo items.

I appreciate the info. 

I am really trying to contact Arlo and haven't been able to do so yet.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pahemo wrote:

I am really trying to contact Arlo and haven't been able to do so yet.

You need a subscription to get phone support - don't try to google a number, as that will lead to a scam support site.

Though it sounds like this is just happening with one battery now.  Is that battery under warranty?  If not, support won't be able to do much (if anything).

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Regards the spare battery and a warning that the batteries need to be recharged before they reach 5% capacity.

If the battery falls below the minimum capacity the camera firmware prevents charging for safety purposes.

https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do 

Regards contacting arlo customer support, they stopped providing support for non subscription customers back in 2021.

You can check your support status using the mobile app, select settings/support and select your devices to see your entitlements.

You could also try private messaging a arlo moderator here on the forum to ask for help. @JamesC or @ShayneS