Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Superman2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Will the local storage feature be compatible with the old base station? Or will you need the pro base station for that?  Is the feature exclusive to the Pro?  Is the local storage feature coming to the non pro base station?

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Superman2000 wrote:

Will the local storage feature be compatible with the old base station? Or will you need the pro base station for that?  Is the feature exclusive to the Pro?  Is the local storage feature coming to the non pro base station?

My undersatanding at this time is the NEW base will be needed for a USB SPEED stick to record local ( like the Q plus )...

But it will work with the older Arlo cams and the base will be sold separately

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Superman2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

so your saying i could just buy the arlo pro basestation for my existing cameras and that will give me local storage for the older cameras?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That is my understanding at this point.... as per the LIVE release q&a they had today.

(But confirm with JamesC ) as there aren't many out there.

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Superman2000,

That is correct. To utilize the local storage feature for your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras, you would need an Arlo Pro Base Station. For more information on this topic, see here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

AlexisAndrews
Star
Star
Why are there two USB ports on my Arlo base station that I've had for two years? Why is it you cannot give your customers that have been loyal and have put up with your constant not upgrading the Arlo experience The ability to use those USB ports with a firmware update on the current product this is unacceptable.

These cameras were so expensive I mean so so expensive and your communities made it seem like you wanted to add features to the product but what it looks like to me is that all you want is us to spend more money to buy another product because you already got our money. You don't seem to care about your current customers all you care about is getting new ones. That is despicable!

I am so beyond upset about this.
netcam
Star
Star

same question why Netgear why screwing customers??

I still have your marketing spam implying  USB ports would be used for local storage with future firmware update.

AlexisAndrews
Star
Star
Well if you have the marking spam that link was not it all that is is some change.org that was created by somebody long time ago and that nobody knew about it and nobody signed it.

Here's the problem this company does not care. They got our money that's all they cared about and now they're done with us.

I just know that this company allowed us to be lied to over and over and over on multiple things that were a request for features at all it really was was request for the next product. All they cared about was finding out what they can put in the next $600 product. These people are liars and monsters.
Teppic
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC,

So is there an actual hardware difference between the old base station and the newer Pro base station? As I was certainly expecting the USB ports in my existing base station to be usable at some point - one would assume that's why they were put there in the first place, rather than to just catch dust?

I've been a long-time Netgear user - from ADSL modems, routers, ReadyNAS units, switches, and now Arlo ... but if this is the stance Netgear are now going to start taking, superseding hardware that should be firmware upgradeable and forsaking the existing customers ... then I will certainly be questioning my use of any Netgear products in the future.

Thanks,

G.

netcam
Star
Star

in older version of quick start guide  it says "reserved for future use" beside home and usb leds.

Also moderators confirmed  this:

https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/board/crawl_message?board.id=en-arlo-wire-free&message.id=1...

https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/board/crawl_message?board.id=en-arlo-wire-free&message.id=1...

I will probably put this junk on ebay and buy blink, blink camera batteries last 2 years and are much cheaper, they will soon announce outdoor camera so do not buy arlo pro on Oct 27th wait few month for much better system from blink 

AlexisAndrews
Star
Star
Yeah I'm feeling the same way about put this junk on eBay because this is ridiculous I cannot believe what this company is done to us and put us through and expected us to put up with when all the companies have done nothing but improve and improve their products for their current customers. this company no such thing, all they want is more money they want you to buy something, they want to worry about other products instead of the products that people put their money on the table and cause them to be able to collect them bonuses and fat paychecks I am so fed up with these monsters.

I am kicking myself in the ass for not getting blink when it was for $79 a Camera I am so angry at myself for that but you know who's fault that is Arlos fault.

Arlo is the one that I spent $500 for. Arlo is the one that I trusted would improve the product and give the features that people ask for. But no they don't do that at all.

nobody gives a flying **bleep** about Facebook and be able to put a video on Facebook you can do that with an iPhone/Android using the camera app or the photos app that's ridiculous that that's what they implemented idiots.

I say go for the blank it gets nothing but positive reviews. And the company sounds like they are all about their customers. Maybe it's because this is their company. Arlo is part of net gear and net gear is a huge nasty conglomerate who cares nothing but for their bottom line. And if you notice The only moderator that there ever is is this one guy James C. Shows you how much net gear gives a crap they can't even put more than one moderator on the entire community. I hope you get paid really well
Teppic
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can always take the commentary to Netgear's Facebook page as well - that probably gets more notice than these forums.

That's what I've done: Netgear's Arlo spruiking on Facebook