Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DCrusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

K. I love the Arlo system it's working exactly like I want it to.  except for a few things nothing major just some Tweeks.

1.  Why does the GeoFencing not work flawless another words when I leave the house it tells me that I've gone outside the GeoFencing area.  In the mean time my wife is on the treadmill working her ass off and she leave an hour later sometime it works flawlessly and other time it still things she's at home her and me take the same route everyday so why does it work great one day and not the other 

2. Why doesn't GeoFencing let her know that the system is in away mode and not just notify me it should notify both of us because it lets her know when there is motion in and around the house this way she know that it didn't go in to away mode to rather than me asking if she's at work which already know she is and or look at camera to verify that she has left I'm not in a position to always make sure it's in away mode.

love the GeoFencing it takes it out of my hands to Arm and Disarm on its own because we leave and come back a lot all day long it makes it nice I don't know if it is still BETA or not.     But those are my gripes and inputs.

Sent from D.Totty iPad

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. 

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

DCrusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC wrote:

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. 

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

Yes My Wife never log's out neither do I BUT my wife it's like the GPS is not seeing it or something BUT all of it still login.   So sometimes I get her to close the app out and relogin and it works BUT most of the time not.   Like today once again I was busy at work noticed that it didn't arm at 6:30AM knew she had already left for work and she was on the road travelling to work so I didn't text her anything because I hate TEXT WHILE DRIVING so I waited well before I knew it the day was over I forgot all about the Arlo not arming so the whole day was not Armed Thank God the only person that came over to get something was my Sister- In-Law and I trusted her...

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save. 

This is what I usually end up doing and it comes back Armed  BUT  what's the point of this GeoFencing if you have to watch it everyday to make sure it works.  So what I might do to fix it right now until then is put it back into Schedule and when I leave for Trip turn back into GeoFencing

DCrusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes My Wife never log's out neither do I BUT my wife it's like the GPS is not seeing it or something BUT all of it still login.   So sometimes I get her to close the app out and relogin and it works BUT most of the time not.   Like today once again I was busy at work noticed that it didn't arm at 6:30AM knew she had already left for work and she was on the road travelling to work so I didn't text her anything because I hate TEXT WHILE DRIVING so I waited well before I knew it the day was over I forgot all about the Arlo not arming so the whole day was not Armed Thank God the only person that came over to get something was my Sister- In-Law and I trusted her...  

This is what I usually end up doing and it comes back Armed  BUT  what's the point of this GeoFencing if you have to watch it everyday to make sure it works.  So what I might do to fix it right now until then is put it back into Schedule and when I leave for Trip turn back into GeoFencing

pc2k17
Hero
Hero
Just to give you some info....... I use smartthings and arlo. At first I kept them separate and I had geofencing issues with both products. Then I integrated the two and still the same inconsistent results. Coming home almost never worked, neither system realized I was home quick enough or not at all and I'd be standing in my living room before it decided to say hey your home now, disarm the system. Leaving it could take 30 seconds up to 20 minutes to realize I left. I eventually setup a smartthings open close sensor to do the disarm when I get home and leaving I just know it could take up to 20 minutes to realize I'm gone, but it always does arm. Today it took 7 minutes when I left, yesterday 20 minutes, the day before 2 minutes. I think the geofencing technology just isn't quite there yet because several seapaate products seem to have the same issues, and it's not my location because I have friends with the same issue with different products who live 20-30 miles from me. I'm pretty sure most use a cell tower triangulation method, which isn't that accurate, to determine where you are instead of GPS. So it's not just arlo with geofencing issues. Hopefully the tech will progress and get better in the future.