Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
klebe
Aspirant
Aspirant
When i am in geofence mode and leave house my wife has arlo app as well anyways her phone is with her but when i leave it goes into armed mode. Why would it arm if wife is still home with the cameras / app in her phone ? Shouldnt it only arm if both phones are away only ? Any settings ? please help ! I even tried granting all access to her app as well.....
5 REPLIES 5
klebe
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius.

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

JamesC

wasseng
Tutor
Tutor

Any plans on supporting Geofencing by using the local wifi? 

As I understand it geofencing only works if the app is started on the device you want to track (either in forground or background mode). But this still requires that the user acctually has the app started on their phone to work. Also if Im correct background apps normally dont use the gps to locate where the device is but rather wifi-positioning and cell-positioning because of battery drainage of GPS. So it might be quite inacurate location thats beeing reported.

Another way to make geofencing a bit more robust would use the local WiFi to check for the device. The bridge would then look for the mac adress of the device that you want to track on the local LAN (as long as the device is on WiFi it would be found). As long as its on the local LAN/WiFi is still at the location (home).

jscirocco
Tutor
Tutor

Using local wifi to check for the device would be a very welcomed change. I'm having the same issue where my system goes into Arm mode when my wife is still at the house and I'm gone. It's gotten to the point where I have to turn off geofencing when I'm not there and my wife is. Not an issue when we go somewhere together or we're both out, but still very frustrating. Hopefully a fix comes soon

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WiFi connection may not be any more reliable.  I have an August Smart Lock that supposedly uses the WiFi connection as well as location to determine when you're home to unlock the door.  Let's just leave it that I keep a key with me, too...