Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
kgrlamm
Guide
Guide

when viewing objects moving across the field of vision, there is a delay in the camera/recording turning on. The car or person walking by are almost gone and out of the frame before the recording ever starts. So I get a half second of video of the someone's back in the absolute outside edge of video...and then 7-8 seconds of nothing. How do you force the camera to start recording the instant it detects motion?

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro has very good response to movement if a few things re placement are done....

The first you did with motion across the field of view.

Second is Not to over cover areas with the camera...the camera has ( for people ) a range of about 24ft max so I usu suggest not to try and cover more than that

Third is there is a sense level adjustment need for different locations... default is 80% but I fine most of mine run closer to 90.  Adjust the sense level up slowly so you get a good response but not alot of false triggers ( wind/leaves/bushes )

Also if you can post a snapshot of the cameras for suggestions as to possible better location

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
kgrlamm
Guide
Guide

I have been playing with the placement and sensitivity based on your response to a few posts yesterday, but the view below is a great example of what I'm still battling with. The car pulls up in the driveway, the person gets out and walks into the garage. The recording doesn't start until the car is already parked, the driver is out and walking into the house. I get about 2 seconds of video starting when the person is in the red circled area, and then 6 seconds or so of nothing. 

Capture.PNG

kgrlamm
Guide
Guide

Here is the second of the four cameras. Last night we had a dog start at point 1 (we think, since we didn't have video) and run into our yard, leave a nice brown present, turn around and run out at point 3. The recording didn't cut on until the dog was at point 2 and already moving OUT of the yard. So we didn't capture anything of where the dog came from or even how long it was in our yard. We only got that 2 second quickie of the dog on the way out...and then several seconds of nothing. 

Capture.PNG

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In the dog issue, I can understand it's not picking up the dog... first the dog is small than a person, coming straight in AND I would think maybe the camera is to high. ( est the fence is 4ft ?)

As mentioned above,  Not to over cover areas with the camera...the camera has ( for people ) a range of about 24ft max so I usu suggest not to try and cover more than that...the dog is smaller and has less IR to detect.... with pets I've only had good luck bringing the camera more down to their level

You might be able to temp mount on a post near the fence if trying to catch the dog giving presents.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

With the car... can't really answer why, the pros response is very good most of the time.

I may just try and move the camera around the drive from where it is... temp mounting till it fuctions well with good response.

I know it's a pain I know I moved each of my outside cams at least twice and one three times till I was happy.

Maybe over by the gutter lead drain / corner of porch or above the dryer vent ( but up about 7ft )

Capture3333.JPG

ronsmith7144
Star
Star

I boosted my sensitivity to 100%.  It has significantly reduced the delay in the start of the recording.  When I put it down to 90 or 80 to eliminate the cars going down the street, there's a huge delay in the start time.  I guess you'll need to trade battery life and excessive recordings for faster response in the recording.  Also, you need to consider that the cameras work best when objects move across the field of view, and not directly at it or away from it.   It's also sensing temperature differences as well, so if your air temp is 98 degrees, and a human is 98 degrees, then the camera will detect the person, but it may be delayed.  

ryanking
Guide
Guide
Beware of mounting above dryer vent. Night viewing when it is cold out isn’t good did the fog effect
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

For the car, can you move the camera around toward the left so that it points to the center of the drive? That way the car entering would be across the field of view.