Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

connecting arlo pro to a verizon jetpack hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Ethan_R
Aspirant
Aspirant

good afternoon everyone, I just purchased the arlo pro from costco and am having a tough time connecting it. I know I do not have the ideal set up but here is what i have, It is a verizon jetpack 4G LTE hotspot. There are no internet providers up where I live in California. Is there a way to get my system up and running using my verizon hotspot, or should I return my camera setup? Also if i need to purchase some extra products would you please include the name and model number please. I am alittle new to this stuff. Thank you very much everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Starshower112
Tutor
Tutor
It works!! It didn't connect right away so I was a little worried, but everything is connected now. I'm getting motion detection notifications on my phone and everything. I just hope it doesn't eat up all my data now! But yes, it works.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base requires an Ethernet connection. If your hotspot doesn't have one, you can use a WiFi extender that does. Connect the extender to your WiFi and attempt the setup.

Ethan_R
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you very much, Ill give that a shot

davidforzese
Initiate
Initiate

Were you able to connect and set up?

allnicksgone
Guide
Guide
I also rely on a Verizon jetpack for my internet.
I got the NETGEAR AC1200 extender for my Arlo pro system. It works great. Originally, I tried a lower model number, and the cameras lagged too much.

Go with the NETGEAR AC1200.
Starshower112
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same issue. I live in the country, so the Jetpack is all I have for internet. I bought a netgear ac1200 but it is a router so it doesn't work. Can you please include the model name.. apparently there are several types of netgear ac1200. Thanks!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need a WiFi extender, not a router. Connect the extender to the hotspot and the base to extender.

Literg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good afternoon. I am getting ready to purchase the Arlo Pro 4 camera system, the AC 1200 WiFi extender, and a Verizon hotspot. Does anyone have this setup that works? It will work correct? If so, which Verizon hotspot do I choose? I sent Arlo customer support a message and was told that Arlo Pro cameras do not connect via hotspot so that is why I ask here. Any help is appreciated. Thank You!
Starshower112
Tutor
Tutor
Yep.. just took the router back and ordered the extender. This has been frustrating to say the least. Someone almost took out my mailbox yesterday and it would've been nice to have my cameras working! Thanks for your help!
Literg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Will you please update and let us know that this setup indeed works? Which Verizon hotspot do I choose?
Starshower112
Tutor
Tutor
My wifi extender won't be in for a few more days, but I will post an update whether it works, or not. I can tell you now that I have the Verizon mifi jetpack. It's the one with the removable battery, because I've had issues with the batteries swelling. I will post an update when my extender is delivered.
Literg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes please do. If this works for you, then I’m going with the exact setup. Appreciate your response and the help!
Starshower112
Tutor
Tutor
It works!! It didn't connect right away so I was a little worried, but everything is connected now. I'm getting motion detection notifications on my phone and everything. I just hope it doesn't eat up all my data now! But yes, it works.
Starshower112
Tutor
Tutor
I will say though.. the cameras are lagging. They do record when motion is detected, but when I randomly check the cameras, quite frequently it says they are offline. I'm not sure if I need a better extender or what. I'm just going to deal with it for now.
Literg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nice! Thank you for letting me know. I’m going to do this setup next week.
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

I use a mifi 7730L and Netgear EX7000 extender for the Arlo Pro and my devices on the opposite end of the house.

Cataoncars
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can someone provide me step by step instructions on hooking the base station to a Verizon jet pack. There is no Ethernet port on the jet pack and an adapter from Ethernet to usb did not work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary
See post 3. You need an extender with an Ethernet port. Netgear has an AC version that starts at $30