change wifi connection for arlo pro

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
sosueme
Tutor
Tutor

doe anyone know how to get my base station to switch the wifi it uses?

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sosueme wrote:

doe anyone know how to get my base station to switch the wifi it uses?

Arlo doesn't provide any access to the settings.

What are you wanting to change?

sosueme
Tutor
Tutor

I have two wifi options...one from my router and one through a Mesh System (which I have fed to the building where I get spotty enough reception on my "normal" system that I typically lose connection with the cameras in that building)...just trying to get those cameras to stay in the loop!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sosueme wrote:

I have two wifi options...one from my router and one through a Mesh System 

And the base doesn't use either one, since it connects via ethernet.  It creates its own closed wifi network for the cameras - the range for that is similar to your router. 

The closed wifi can't be extended, but you could purchase a second base and put it in the building with the problem cameras.  The second base would need ethernet, hopefully the mesh element(s) in that building has ethernet out.

sosueme
Tutor
Tutor

wow...such a creative work around (for a system that shouldnt need to be worked around!)  Will I end uop with problems linking some of the cameras to the mesh router and some to the hard wired router in the house?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sosueme wrote:

Will I end uop with problems linking some of the cameras to the mesh router and some to the hard wired router in the house?

You can't connect Pro cameras to your wifi.  They only connect to base/smarthub.  If the range is too far for a good signal, the only thing you can do is add a second base to the system that is closer to the distant cameras, and move the cameras to that new base.  All Arlo bases connect with ethernet, so you will need to get ethernet to that building.  My Orbi satellites all have ethernet out, and I do have one base connected to one of the satellites.  I've had no problem with it.

Your other option is to get a camera that can connect to your wifi without using a smarthub.  For instance, a Pro 4, Pro 5s, or Essential model.  They will need a subscription for cloud storage.

sosueme
Tutor
Tutor

thanks for the response....so, I obviously am missing something....how do I get two base stations to be operative at the same time.  I see the "add a new device" option on my main page (and also see the cameras as well as my existing smart hub)....do I just follow the "hub" option on the "new device" tab and end up with two hubs despite the fact that onegets it ethernet directly from my incoming optical cable while the new one will get it off a seperate mesh router system that originates from the same optical cable but shows as a totally different wi fi option on hardware that gives you the option of choosing which wi fi signal you want to use? (I hope that made sense!)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sosueme wrote:

how do I get two base stations to be operative at the same time.  

Go into "Add device" in the app, and add a second hub.  Not difficult, lots of people have more than one.

@sosueme wrote:

despite the fact that onegets it ethernet directly from my incoming optical cable while the new one will get it off a seperate mesh router system that originates from the same optical cable 

You will need to have your phone connected to the mesh wifi when you add the hub (and later on when you pair the cameras to the hub).  After onboarding, the base is connecting through the Arlo cloud, so it won't matter how your phone is connected to the internet.

@sosueme wrote:

but shows as a totally different wi fi option on hardware that gives you the option of choosing which wi fi signal you want to use? 

Not sure what wifi you are talking about here.

The base stations only connect to the Arlo cloud with ethernet.  They don't use the wifi in your mesh system or your router.

They do create wifi networks for the cameras to use. But those are only for the cameras, and you never choose which one to use.  Instead you select the base you want to use when you onboard the cameras.

sosueme
Tutor
Tutor

many thanks (again!)...now all I have to do is decide whether to invest in additional hardware that Arlo has already announced it wont support.  But your help has been much appreciated.