Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tonyling
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been pranked for a number of times in recent months. Some items were quietly put outside my front door. So, I have my Arlo Pro camera armed all time to try to capture the image of the prankster and the action in process. But every time the prank took place, the camera didn’t record anything.  I was wondering if the prankster can somehow interrupt or pause or disarm the device? (The prankster won’t possibly know the password of my device, FYI.)

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tonyling wrote:

I was wondering if the prankster can somehow interrupt or pause or disarm the device? (The prankster won’t possibly know the password of my device, FYI.)

A WiFi jammer would do it, but it seems unlikely that a prankster would have one (they are illegal in the US).

I suggest testing this yourself by putting stuff in the same location, and see if the camera triggers reliably.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A little more info is needed here. Does this person live with you or just some random person? Do you live in a house, apartment etc? He could know you have cameras and unplugging your cable connection from your house then plugging it back in after the prank therefore you wont get an alert on your phone. Do you have a memory stick plugged into your base? If you do then even though he unplugged the cable from your house you would still have it on the stick.

tonyling
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. Tks for your reply. I am in Canada. Is the WiFi jammer illegal in Canada?
If someone has to put the stuff outside my door, he will trigger the camera. 
By the way, although the Arlo Pro camera is sensitive, I have noticed a loophole. That is, it doesn't record images continuously for 1 or 2 mins. Do you know if it is due to the time lapse between rendering each piece of footage?

tonyling
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi thank you for your reply.
I live in a semi-detached house. I suspect the prankster is one of my neighbours. 
If he just looks around, he will easily see my Arlo camera near my door. But he still dares to do the pranks for more than once. That is one of the reasons why I suspect he knows how to stop the camera taking images of him. 
My experience is that if my cable connection was broken, the images would come back after the internet was there again.
Anyway,I would try using a memory stick. Tks!

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The box is not going to hold the videos waiting to re-connect to the internet. When motion is recorded it is up-loaded to the cloud servers right away (1-3 seconds) then you get the alert on your phone, a memory stick will hold the videos even though no internet. And yes jammers are illegal in Canada. 

tonyling
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @silverado44, Thank you for your reply again.  About my cable connection of house you mentioned last time, I have checked it. The connection outside my house is locked in a box. So, it is quite difficult for the prankster to unplug it. If you come up with any solutions anytime, pls drop by here and let me know. I am keen to ensure my Arlo work well to to help me catch the prankster because my family is worried it may not simply pranks but have some bad implications behind it that we do not realise at present. We do not interact much with neighbours, except simple hi-and-bye, so should not have offended them...Anyway, thank you very much again. Merry X'mas and Happy New Year!