Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera fails to sync with the Arlo SmartHub or Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Shuttleman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have tried all the suggested fixes, power is good.  Camera shows up on Device screen but does not connect to internet. displays a shot from months ago.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This isn't an email exchange so I have no idea why you would get an undeliverable reply from the postmaster.

Typically corrosion is more of an insulator than a conductor so I wouldn't think there would be a short (it would be an "open"). Replacing the connector, or anything on the camera other than the battery, isn't readily possible. If you're handy with electronics and fine soldering/work it could be done but you'd have to source your own parts. I suspect it would be a futile attempt as it would appear to be a faulty camera.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it displays a screenshot of any sort but not a "not connected" message, it should be working. All details are needed for us to be able to help. Screenshots may be useful.

Shuttleman
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera is a VMC4030 Arlo Pro. One day It just froze on the last shot.  Changed battery with no change in result.  When I remove the camera from the device list and add it back again it goes thru all the necessary steps, Blue LED flashing etc. Camera reappears on device list but with same shot that it froze on. Repeated steps a few times only difference occasionally got a slow blinking Amber light. Changed battery, back to initial Frozen shot. Tried it without battery, using charging hook up. Same result. Rebooted Hub, no change. 3 other cameras hooked to same system, no problems with them. When I change battery in darkened room Blue LED and Infrared lighting comes on for 5 - 6 seconds on camera face. The only screen shot i could post would be the frozen Pic with This Message 

Your Arlo device appears offline.
Please make sure it’s powered on and connected to the Internet.
Which it is in both cases.
What other Info is needed. one last thought, it does seem to drain batteries 2x as fast as other cameras, with fewer recordings.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The battery drain certainly could point to a faulty camera but swapping locations with another camera or just bringing it indoors for testing would help determine if it's the camera or location. Of course, it could be a bad battery so swapping that with another camera could be useful.

Have you rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app?

Shuttleman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried replying previously but message came back from postmaster undeliverable. I have swapped locations; I have had it indoors now for months aimed at my desk so every time I move it should record.  Put a new battery in. That is when I thought there was a flicker of life. After a few weeks, the Amber LED started flashing. Indicating low battery. But no visible recordings. The only other item that I can think of that occurred... At one point previous to this problem, I hooked it up to AC with the cable and charger. It operated fine but the male end of cable and female plug of camera slightly corroded. I cleaned them with a soft toothbrush and compressed air. Then changed it back to battery.  Is it possible the corrosion caused a "Short"? Draining the battery and blocking the signal? Is the female plug on the camera replaceable?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This isn't an email exchange so I have no idea why you would get an undeliverable reply from the postmaster.

Typically corrosion is more of an insulator than a conductor so I wouldn't think there would be a short (it would be an "open"). Replacing the connector, or anything on the camera other than the battery, isn't readily possible. If you're handy with electronics and fine soldering/work it could be done but you'd have to source your own parts. I suspect it would be a futile attempt as it would appear to be a faulty camera.

Shuttleman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just figured why the postmaster response. I get a copy of your replies in my e-mail. I answered the e-mail. that is why I got the message. I am pretty decent with the electronics. "Back in the day" I would build my own circuit boards. Anyway, I think you are right, the camera is not working. I will use this one for future repair parts.