Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
sivilee
Initiate
Initiate

No matter where I put my arlo pro camera on the porch, I'm unable to avoid view of the street which means I'm notified everytime a car drives by.  The street only appears in upper right corner of the camera view.  Would the camera still work if I tape a piece of paper on the lens just over that upper right area, cropping out the street?  Would the camera still pick up any movement in the areas not covered by the paper?  Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@sivilee

No, the lens is not the problem, it is the motion detector that needs to be partially covered. Experiment and be sure not to get any tape residue on the lens or motion sensor.

Brian

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I would not put tape on anything.

Reduce the motion detection sensitivity in small increments to see if there is a value where you will get the porch movement but not the car movement.

sivi
Tutor
Tutor

I've lowered the sensitivity as much as I can.  

Is the lens the smallest circle in the middle and the motion detector the larger circle that surrounds the small circle?

brh
Master
Master

@sivi

On the Pro model I believe the motion detection is the bottom half of the front of the camera. 

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@sivilee

If you have an outdoor AC outlet that you can connect the camera to, you might need to go to the Arlo Pro 2 camera so that you can set up Activity Zones. If no AC power availavle you could possibly get an electrician to hook up an outlet to an existing porch light. Another option would be to purchase an Arlo Q Plus and point it out a window while plugged into AC power. The Q Plus allows you to also set up Activity Zones.

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sivilee,

Take a look at the following article for tips on how to position your Arlo camera for best performance:

How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC