Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

arlo-pro Ethernet cable

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ffgus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have any available Ethernet cable ports left on my AT & T U-Verse modem.  All 4 available Ethernet cable ports are being used.  The last port available is being used to power up the AT & T U-Verse wireless router to feed my wireless U-Verse cable box in an upstairs bedroom.  My friend recently purchased her arlo-pro system a few weeks before I did, and she said she never hooked up the arlo-pro base using the provided Ethernet cable.  Her only use to view her cameras in the iPhone 6.  I am using my iPad and my iPhone 7 plus to remotely view my camera images.  When I disconnect the ethernet cable provided, I get an "Internet Connection Has Been Lost" message on my whichever device I am using to view my cameras.

Any ideas why I must use the ethernet cable provided, while my friend does not?  Is there a way to remotely view my cameras through the wireless router provided to me by AT & T U-verse for the wireless cable box in the upstairs bedroom?

Thanks,

Regards,

ffgus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If your friend bought an Arlo Q camera, that connects to your normal wifi network

If it's Arlo wireless or Arlo Pro, it MUST have the base station connected by ethernet to an internet connected device

Your options here are to add a network switch so you have more ethernet ports avaiable; replace your router with one that has more ethernet ports; buy a range extender that connects to your wifi or Powerline kit that has an ethernet port that you can connect your base station to. This last option gives you flexibility in where you put the base station in your house so it can be in the most central position in relation to the cameras

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If your friend bought an Arlo Q camera, that connects to your normal wifi network

If it's Arlo wireless or Arlo Pro, it MUST have the base station connected by ethernet to an internet connected device

Your options here are to add a network switch so you have more ethernet ports avaiable; replace your router with one that has more ethernet ports; buy a range extender that connects to your wifi or Powerline kit that has an ethernet port that you can connect your base station to. This last option gives you flexibility in where you put the base station in your house so it can be in the most central position in relation to the cameras

ffgus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response.  Obviously my friend has misinformed me as to which system she really has obtained.  I will take your suggestions to heart and use them.  Thank you once again.

Refards,

ffgus

ffgus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Regards...Sorry

ffgus