Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Wyatt_
Initiate
Initiate

Xfinity tv glitches and barely streams whenever I connect to a camera via the app on my phone. Help!

4 REPLIES 4
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Wyatt_ wrote:
Xfinity tv glitches and barely streams whenever I connect to a camera via the app on my phone. Help!

Your camera streams video TO Arlo cloud servers.  Your app streams video FROM the Arlo cloud servers.  If you are home watching a video stream at the same time, you have those two download video streams competing for your WAN bandwidth in addition to whatever else is going on in your home.  Also, any wireless traffic on the same (or overlapping) channel would be competing for WiFi bandwidth.  Though it seems likely your Xfinity box is wired, unless they offer a wireless Satelite.

How does a Speedtest look before and during this event?

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In additon to what @AncientGeek said, there are other (perhaps better?) ways to stream your cameras to your TV depending on what devices you have. Without any additional information, just a couple of options I use (and never use my cable provider TV box, just my TV hook up to the internet - though they are the same provider).

Samsung Smart TV, using Smart View app (or Smart Thing app which has Smart View as part of it).

Chromecast dongle after hooking Arlo to Google Assistant (I also use Home devices). "Hey Google, show Exterior 1 camera on Big TV". The only downside with Chromecast is that it changes your source and you need to manually change back when wanting something else.

Some other TVs are Android ready for Chromecast.

Alexa, Amazon Fire also, though I am doing Chrome stuff.

All of this (and more, others can offer additional options) is of course contingent on what you have and what you want to do.

In short, when you cast, all you are doing is directing the target away from your phone to the device you are casting to directly, on the internet. When you use a service such as google assistant or alexa, after set up, you are going directly from the Arlo cloud to your device. Your best means is to view your cameras through your internet hook up in your smart TV through a variety of options.

Wyatt_
Initiate
Initiate

Okay, I will try and do a Speedtest later today when I get a chance. More info first, I have xfinity tv and internet. We have a single tv box and a netgear modem/router that we purchased. Xfinity box is hardwired and the only other hard connections are the new arlo system which is direct to the netgear box and then also an Xbox 360 which never gets used. Whenever we are watching tv and someone connects to view the camera live stream the tv can’t handle it. Usually only one person on their phone when this happens

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Another possibility is to use the router settings for QoS (Quality of Service) to reserve a bit of upload bandwith so Arlo can't swamp it. I've used 200kbps in the past with success.  Streaming of TV material still needs upload bandwidth - it's not all download.

I also think someone else recently had a similar issue which was solved by resetting the Arlo system and starting fresh.