Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless configuration deployment options for Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
TheWraith
Guide
Guide

First, let me state that I'm a network engineer and as such have a considerable wireless infrastructure at my residence.  By 'considerable', I mean it consists of (5) different Cisco Aironet 1050 Series access points, some with external antenas based on deployment needs.  These access points are maintained by a Cisco Wireless Controller.  That being said, I see that the Arlo base station acts as it's own wireless access point, broadcasting an SSID of "Netgear11" (wpa2-psk-ccmp)(wps)(ess).  The 'issue' (gripe) I have is that there are NO wireless configuration options within the Arlo base station interface.  What if I want to modify the Arlo wireless access point and change what channel it's operating on?  What if I want to customize the SSID?  What if, since the "wireless clients" (i.e. cameras) aren't roaming workstations I want to disable the SSID broadcast bit?  What if I want to customize the WPA2 passphrase?

My home wireless network is far, far more diversive and far reaching across my property than a single Arlo wireless access point.  Why can't Netgear/Arlo have a network configuration option allowing users to determine if it's going to be acting as a wireless access point, or a wireless client?  I'd much, much rather configure my Arlo to associate/connect to MY wireless infrastructure and have the cameras also connect as clients, versus them maintaining a self-sustained, limited coverage, wireless network of their own.

What if I want to place cameras outside of the range of the Arlo access point?  The limited wireless configuration deployment options of the Arlo are a significant detractor of the product in my opinion.  It limits their usage and availability to mere point solutions.  Sure, Netgear will tell you to buy additional Arlo base stations and share them - but this is a bandaid solution to the core problem that Netgear has a limited wireless configuration for this product.

I'd like to see that enhanced, considerably.

2 REPLIES 2
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I'm also an I.T. Engineer myself and I completely understand your frustrations with the products configurability.  I agree, we should have some type of access to the base so we could change those settings.  That said, I've learned that the arlo base station likes to "switch channels" to the same as my primary network.  I've also learned that Arlo's cameras are using a proprietary wireless  (low power) solution.  This is why you can not connect the cameras directly to your own network.  I would also like to see some type of notification when the base unit goes offline.  I have the base on a UPS as well as my home network (fiber/router/etc).  Unless I experience an ISP issue, in thoery, my internet should remain up even during a power failure assuming the ISP has a backup battery in thier service location to keep thier own equipment online.  That said, i've seen occasional hiccups with the ISP and my cameras don't upload the video to the cloud but do save it to the USB.  However, there are no logs or other visual indicators to alert me that this occurred so I have to pull the USB and check it to see if there's anything I missed.  This seems counter-intuitive to me.  Hopefully (at some stage) netgear will provide a better way to manage these devices, as you said, having to buy another base and share it back and forth seems clunky and non-cohesive.  It also makes administration tasks more time consuming.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As you know, almost all of the above "wants" are not available....

The system has been closed for what Netgear calls security purposes.

It also has been designed to be more plug and play for the average home owner/user

To get what you want you may have to look at other products of a more commercial design.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------