Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
bear454
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo Pro announcement said the camera can be wired to power or use a rechargeable battery... With the wired option, will the camera charge the battery? Would this function as a battery backup for the cameras?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bear454,

Yes, the Arlo Pro can be powered using the included power adapter along with the rechargeable battery. When powering the Arlo Pro with the wired option, it is important to note that the camera is no longer weatherproof and cannot be used outside.

For more information on the new Arlo Pro features, see here: What new features does Arlo Pro offer?

JamesC

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bear454,

Yes, the Arlo Pro can be powered using the included power adapter along with the rechargeable battery. When powering the Arlo Pro with the wired option, it is important to note that the camera is no longer weatherproof and cannot be used outside.

For more information on the new Arlo Pro features, see here: What new features does Arlo Pro offer?

JamesC

herbertjames12
Tutor
Tutor

Hi JamesC,

So when you are using the Power Adapter along with the recharable battery and when there is isolated power outage(only the power supply to the Arlo Pro) the rechargable battey will kick in for contineous use? Does this scenario possible?

Herbert

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe I saw this someplace but can't find it at the moment.  IIRC, the battery needs to be installed to use the power cord so, yes, the battery would automatically switch in during a power loss.

bear454
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks all for the feedback!
CJ180
Star
Star
This is great but I don't see why the USB cable and the connection cannot be made weatherproof as this would be preferable for many people instead of having to change batteries in difficult to reach places.
MistyWoods
Tutor
Tutor

I agree, the cameras should have the ability to be located outdoors and connected to power independent of the battery with IP66 protection. I have a few locations that I could power. It would be a real advantage to be able to power some camera's with the battery included acting as a backup.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've been running the Pro under a garage soffit with the USB cord connected and mastic tape around the connection.

The connection is weatherproof so the Pro can be used without a battery outdoors contrary to some posts on here.

You just need to seal the connection well.

It is a poor design that was overlooked on purpose for some reason.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

bear454,

JamesC

James at least two of my arlo pro, the cover for the micro USB does not stay sealed outside so it is not weather proof at that USB micro port area even with no cable connected. If that aspect of it is going to cause failures from moisture is poorly engineered or manufactured.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

bear454,

JamesC

James at least two of my arlo pro, the cover for the micro USB does not stay sealed outside so it is not weather proof at that USB micro port area even with no cable connected. If that aspect of it is going to cause failures from moisture is poorly engineered or manufactured.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Psaras,

Are you saying that the rubber plug that is in the micro usb connector is not weatherproof?

It seemed like a pretty tigh fit to me.

I actually needed to cut mine off since it was in the way and In needed to seal around the USB connector with mastic.

I agree that the design is poor for a weather seal especially with the usb connected.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah I have four pro  cameras. Two of the plugs keep popping out -- so not weatherproof --  and I don't mean with a cable in it.

There is also an area on bottom of hinge where the casing is open at the hinge before the o-ring. As during rain water tends to run down the camera, that will be an area of significant water ingress as well.

I've taped up two of mine with brown electric tape which serves to give some needed additional weather proofing and blends in with brickwork.

But ironically I think people running micro USB cable to the port and sealing the port and cable interface with silicone have better practical  weatherproofing than two of mine in  factory state.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah I have four pro  cameras. Two of the plugs keep popping out -- so not weatherproof --  and I don't mean with a cable in it.

There is also an area on bottom of hinge where the casing is open at the hinge before the o-ring. As during rain water tends to run down the camera, that will be an area of significant water ingress as well.

I've taped up two of mine with brown electric tape which serves to give some needed additional weather proofing and blends in with brickwork.

But ironically I think people running micro USB cable to the port and sealing the port and cable interface with silicone have better practical  weatherproofing than two of mine in  factory state.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's an interesting observation especially when we are being told that attaching a usb cable for exterior will void the warranty.

I agree that any additional silicone or mastic sealing is the best option if we truly want to weatherproof it.

Luckily mine is under a soffit area so it is somewhat protected from anything overhead.

I would rate my weatherproofing modification with the USB connected a 10 out of 10 and I'm not worried about voiding any warranty.

bear454
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sounds like Netgear needs to start including some Sugru 😉