Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will an arlo pro record to a home built cloud setup?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mazspeed
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking to build a home built cloud setup and was wondering if the arlo,pro can use this instead of being forced to pay for a monthly subscription which I am unwilling to do.

thanks in advance

mike

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No but you're not forced to pay for the service if you use the free basic plan which retains videos for 7 days on a rolling basis.  I use a Python script to automatically download all videos so I have them local if that's of any use to you.  If so, PM me your email address and I'll send off the script and directions.

mazspeed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jguerdat. What is Python script? And how is that used? I can keep the video's local on my system this way? Thank you so much for the response.

Thanks

Mike

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Python is a programming language. It requires you to install the Python interpreter and support files but is fairly small. Once installed and the script is configured you can then use your computer's scheduling capability to run it automatically or you can just run it manually daily. You can set the download directory for almost anyplace the computer can access. I'll email it to you so you can see if it fits your needs.

BTW, the reason I asked for a PM is to prevent personal information from being posted on the Internet. Too many people provide too much info without think about the potential repercussions.
mazspeed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok I downloaded it (have to run to work soon) but does this require to have the computer on to use this with the arlo to keep the files local? My hope was that I could access from my phone and use this or something like this to access videos from either my home or away. Even if I don't have phone or tablet access to videos, I can save them to a home built server and collect daily videos and or record them on a loop for a certain amount of time.

I have a Flir camera system for the outside of my house that records to a DVR inside the house that is on a batter backup so I can review and it runs on a 3 week loop. I was sort of hoping for something like that if possible with the Arlo without having to do the subscription thing. Would this be able to work in this fashion?

Thanks again

Mike

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.  Arlo is cloud-only so manually downloading is needed.  You don't have to keep the computer on - just run the script manually every day at some point.  If you use sleep or hibernation rather than turning the computer off you can set the scheduler to wake the computer up, run the script and then go back to sleep.