Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is it cheaper to buy a whole new system than 3 extra cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am adding 3 more cameras to my system. 

- 3 new camers are 169.99 for 509.97
- 3 camera system with the base station, and mounts is $499.99

(Prices on Amazon)
Why is the bundled system cheaper than the individual cameras? Especially when this will take me to 8 total cameras...meaning I have to pay $100/year.  The choice here is clear - buy the bundle and sell the remaining components on ebay. But this pricing makes zero sense. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Ours is not to question why...

By using the additional base and setting it up on a second account, you get 8 cameras (up to 10 total) on the free plan. Use Settings, Grant Access to add one account as a guest to the other so everything is seen with one login.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Ours is not to question why...

By using the additional base and setting it up on a second account, you get 8 cameras (up to 10 total) on the free plan. Use Settings, Grant Access to add one account as a guest to the other so everything is seen with one login.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you have it wrong... Buy the bundle at the lower price AND keep the extra base.

The base unit is the ONLY real way to expand you coverage area... AND/OR have cameras in two different locations...

There is no limit on bases used , only number of cameras for your service level.  I also find it much easier to set up schedules for two groups of cameras then try to make them all work in one schedule ( like backyard/ front yard, etc )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ltrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting - currently the central base station can reach my garage. But I can see the value of leveraging the second base station. I will even try the two account trick. That's clever.