Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why does a new Arlo Pro battery come with a cable and AC charger?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

So, an Arlo Pro system comes with a cable and AC adapter that allows you to only charge a battery by removing the camera, charging the battery in the camera and re-mounting and re-aiming the camera. What a pain!

Solution: buy one or more extra VMA4400 batteries to have on standby. The trouble is, each battery comes with another cable and AC adapter that, again, can't charge the battery without the camera. All it does is drive up the cost of the extra battery. Multiply by however many extra batteries you want.

Solution: buy the separate VMA4400C charging station. This also comes with  a cable and AC adapter. Now you have at least three cables and adapters only one of which is needed for charging a battery outside of a camera.

Obviously, the system needs to come with a cable/adapter set. Arguably, the charger might come with a set but it's not really neeeded since the system has a set. But there is no reason I can see for the battery to come with a set other than to needlessly drive up the cost.

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

I have been using the new Solar Panel wth mine and they are both working great.

Brian

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

Sounds like you only have one camera?  With my 4 cameras, buying a solar panel for each gets to be pretty pricey.

brh
Master
Master

@JerryR

I have two Pro cameras on solar panels. Yes, while they are expensive, it won't take too long for the cost of batteries to exceed the price oof the solar panels.

Using the solar panels make the cameras install and forget for me as my cameras are mounted pretty high with custom home made mounts that take some time to remove. No more climbing a ladder for me for awhile.

Brian

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

One of my cameras is mounted in a tree which would limit the  charging ability. Hopefully, the batteries won't need replacement.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With these cameras you shouldn't need to be replacing batteries. It's nice to have at least one extra so you can swap quickly but the solar panel shouldn't have any effect on needing to buy batteries.