Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Kwenda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why cannot I get my new Arlo Chime to work.?

Equipment.

New Arlo Chime model AC1001

Arlo Base model VMB4000

2 Arlo Pro Cameras model VMC4030

Netgear R7800 Router

Router linked to base with Ethernet cable, and both cameras AND an Arlo Q working normally.

Router has up to date firmware

Phone is a Motorola g 6 Plus, updated with Android 9 Pie.

Phone has latest Arlo app version 2.7.11_25630.

• Tapped ‘ New Device ‘
  • Clicked on Chime. ‘ We detected an Arlo Base Station ‘, click on continue.
  • Checking for updates.
  • After a minute or two. ‘ Your Base Stations Firmware is up to date ‘
  • ‘ Plug your Arlo Chime into an outlet ‘ ‘ When the LED light on your chime is blinking white,

tap continue.

Now the LED lights are confusing but I found this on https://kb.arlo.com/000061925/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-Chime-mean

Fading white. Your Arlo Chime is ready to be set up.

Slow blinking white. Your Arlo Chime is applying new settings.

Quickly flashing white. Your Arlo Chime is successfully set up.

Pulsing amber. A set up error occurred.

If I leave things then the ‘ Fading White ‘ LED slowly blinks until I get the ‘ Pulsing Amber ‘ which after a few seconds turns into a solid amber.

Attempted this five times and never saw either the ‘ Slow Blinking White ‘ or the ‘ Quickly flashing white ‘.

Note that the Arlo chime was into an extension cord and positioned approx. 3 feet from the base at the same height.

Went to this web page:-  https://kb.arlo.com/000061879/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Chime

Plugged the Arlo Chime into a power socket.

Pressed and held the Sync button on the side of the Arlo Chime for 10 seconds.

The LED flashes rapidly and then returns to ‘ Slow Blinking White’

Attempt to set up again as per above, but fails every time.

Did another factory reset, and still the Arlo Chime does not connect to the base.

Went to this web page :- https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Chime-Light-Stays-Amber-After-Reset/m-p/1669115

Where Zach02 wrote ‘

Re: Chime Light Stays Amber After Reset

‘ I found that it paired nicely with the Sync button on the hub! ‘

1. Did a factory reset
  2. Plugged Arlo Chime into power and while the ‘ Slow Blinking Light ‘ was on held the base station sync button for a few seconds.
  3. The camera LED on the base station blinked green. ‘ Attempting to sync.’
  4. The Arlo Chime LED went quickly form ‘ Slow Blinking White ‘ to ‘ Quickly Flashing White ‘
  5. On the app moved to ‘ Discovering Your Device Please wait ‘
  6. App then reported unable to discover an Arlo Device.

In summary.  I am unable to get the Arlo Chime to sync to the base.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might try next..??

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Kwenda
Apprentice
Apprentice

It looks like I finally got this chime to work.

BUT I did not follow either the instructions in the manual for the chime on line, OR what the app tells us to do.!

Arlo need to UPDATE their manual, AND OR UPDATE the app so that adding another device is easier.

Though I might guess that the Arlo chime might be withdrawn in favour of a new video door bell that uses a Zigbee mesh to the new hub and to the new siren/alarm announced at CES…??

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I've been through the same process today, moving a chrome from one hub to another.

I agree that the documentation is confusing.

The step where it says press continue when the white light is permanently on seems to be wrong. You have to press continue when the white light is flashing.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Kwenda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed.

Hardware seems good, overall design good, but a failure in simple documentation or the app can destroy confidence in the overall product, which destroys potential sales.

This will become important with Samsung bringing to the market, and heavily advertising, a much much cheaper product.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Kwenda wrote:

...a failure in simple documentation or the app can destroy confidence in the overall product, which destroys potential sales.

Documentation has always been a weak spot for Arlo/Netgear. Sadly they are not alone.

Too many times I see manuals written by techies for techies. The rest of us just flounder around.

After a lifetime writing hard stuff for real people, I know that it can be done. You just have to take it seriously and not just as an afterthought.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Olandesini
Tutor
Tutor

I cannot get chime to connect to base station. Any suggestion?
Many thanks

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Olandesini wrote:

I cannot get chime to connect to base station. Any suggestion?

Not without more information on what you have tried and where it goes wrong.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Just another user
Olandesini
Tutor
Tutor

Chime was working for circa two months. Suddenly no more. I tried in every way to reconnect it to the base, the doorbell and a camera are working.

Sometimes when I try to follow the app procedure there is no light at all when I plug it at power. in these cases I keep pressed the sync and then light start to blink.

I do believe that the chime is not faulty but I do not know what to do more to try to reconnect it. I understood in the forum that the app procedure is not the right one. Any help. Thanks

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Olandesini,

Have you tried doing a factory reset for the Arlo Chime and try to re-pair it that way? Otherwise, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.