Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why Is Adobe Flash Required?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
babospy
Initiate
Initiate

This applies to ALL devices.

Why does Netgear require to use Adobe Flash nowaday???  I ASSUME that Netgear is waaaaay behind on the technology in some areas. 

Flash will be NO LONGER support by Adobe, therefore it will be gone for good.  So, Wake up SLOW-POKE NETGEAR!!!

Action now, please!

6 REPLIES 6
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Adobe Flash end of life is December 31, 2020. Arlo has 2-1/2 years to swtich to another streaming video technology. With the current rash of problems with this system, lets let Arlo work out all the current issues before adding potentially more issues. There's plenty of time to switch once the current system is functioning 100% correctly.

momers
Initiate
Initiate

Had the same annoyance. In 2018 why would a major company like Netgear still be using this tech and not rooting it out on the double. Perhaps not everyone can be snappy fast like the internet companies, given Netgear was an "appliance" company who didn't really have to bother with customers using their software daily. Their android app still uses Android 4 /5 design language. So much catching up to do. Heres to hoping things improve sooner.

Justanother1
Guide
Guide

Just because Adobe is ending support in 2020 doesn't mean that browsers like Firefox and Chrome won't stop supporting it sooner.  I'm noticing that with Chrome 69 and Firefox 62 (both are recent as of today) that it has become increasingly difficult to view live streams because of Arlo's reliance on Flash.   These browsers will continue to make it more and more difficult to run Flash because they know that people will just put it off until the last minute.

Arlo needs to eliminate Flash and modernize the implementation of their web interface.

babospy
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo folks!  

Did you see their comments?  That also including Safari 12 as well. 

So, it's time for Arlo to update and improve.  Never assume that there's plenty of time to improve.  STRONGLY that Arlo MUST act right now to meet the customers needs, not the dang Netgear/Arlo folks.  

Deadline for Arlo to remove the Flash feature from Arlo's system:  30 Nov 2019.  Do Not Delay - No excuse - No But.  Plenty time for you to do it.

Thank you!

Jon_Hal
Initiate
Initiate

This applies to all Arlo devices.

I agree with all the other posts on this thread.  Arlo needs to stop using Flash now.  Any solution requiring Flash is not acceptable as I refuse to do it.  The product does not function at all if it requires Flash.  We need a functional HTML5 solution and we need it now.  No more delays.

rwgreene999
Tutor
Tutor

When will Arlo update to this decade and remove the need for Flash in order to view live camera action?  This is a security product, so why force users to be insecure? They don't use flash on mobile so why require people to allow their computers to be hacked just to see live one the desktop?  When I rated this product, I dropped a star because of the requirement for Flash.  I'm going nback and edit that review to drop another star.