Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What size and where to find a 1/4-20 screw to tether Arlo Pro camera?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
user857
Follower
Follower
I found a solution to this post, however it was closed so I created a new question.  I found the screw on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVIKXIE/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_pramCb5HMS70J).  I attached photos of what it looks like attached.  It does touch the magnetic mount, but still holds just fine.
20190104_143058.jpg20190104_143047.jpg
Original Post:

"I've seen many posts suggesting a special screw, such as a torx or allen head to attach a security wire to provide at least minimal security protection for an Arlo Pro mounted outdoors on the magnetic mount. (I like the magnetic mount's adjustability.) I just want added safety should say a bird knock it off the mount and prevent a quick-grab thief.

So my question is: Where do I get the ideal screw? I want a length that doesn't stick out and interfere with the mount. I want something a little more unusual than a phillips head since regular screwdrivers are a little too common. I know the thread is 1/4-20 but I'd like to know what length works. I'm sure I can find something at the hardware store, but finding a single screw (or three) is such a pain in the big box stores I'd rather order it online. Suggestions?"

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The easy solution is to find one that would work but is too long and cut it down. I leave a nut in place on the part that will remain and use that to help guide my hacksaw. Removing the nut afterwards helps with the thread damage that can occur during cutting. A little finesse may be needed to aligne the trheads afterwards but should be fine.

You can also use a grinder or file to reshape the head of the screw some if clearance is an issue.