Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

In the Arlo notification emails, there always used to be a preview picture so I could possibly see what was captured in the video.  This stopped coming thru a few days ago making the Arlo emails pretty useless.  Is there a way to get the preview picture in the emails back?  I didn't change anything.  They just stopped showing up. 

Thanks.

Steve

175 REPLIES 175
homehome
Guide
Guide
Dear Arlo,

This is becoming ridiculous. When is the issue going to be fixed?

So many users are facing the same issue and nothing is done.

Aspirant
Aspirant

You will never be able to get netgear/arlo to fix anything faster than at snail pace.  The support staff playbook has only canned response and getting to a person who knows a little about the workings of the product is rare.  I just log in and leave it open until they kick me off, then log back in.  Some day it will get fixed but life is too short to spend hours/day working with staff that can't fix the problem.

rulviebaby
Guide
Guide

Did anyone try contacting corporate executives?  I don't konw the food chain between Netgear and Arlo, but if anybody has the names and email address of the appropriate CEOs and CIO (or CTO) I would be happy to send them a note.  I

Please put this information in a post if you have it.  An email to the CEO with a copy to the chief technology officer should either get results or confirm that we all should ditch this technology.

TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only component of Arlo platform infrastructure that still works reliably is the Billing Automation for their Subscription Services. Accurate as a Swiss Clock and never skips a beat…
There is a little point of complaining here. Fixing numerous and well-known issues introduced with firmware updates and cloud services changes is clearly not a priority. After branching off Netgear, Arlo is concentrating on new product (The Ultra… Not much success there either) leaving existing customer base in the dust. I saw here few calls for class action but let’s face that it is unlikely to happen and even if it does, only lawyers will benefit from it (unless you believe that getting $10 will truly compensate for your trouble and re-pay the considerable investment into an Arlo System you have made). Do what you really can do and file complaints with BBB outlining the issues you are having! Considering the number of people who is currently affected, even if a small percentage of us take this action, it may push these decision makers at Arlo to move in the right direction...

homehome
Guide
Guide
Still no news from support.

Arlo you are a bad service provider and your product is definitely not worth its price.

You will definitely be getting bad reviews for this.
Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I contacted Costco and they gave the go ahead to retun my Arlo Pro 3-camera kit.  Arlo support - this is your time to provide some information.  Are these issues ever going to be fixed?  1-no preview pictures in the emails, 2-no low battery alert emails, 3-video quality has become pixxelated and poor, 4-motion sensing is not picking things up as well as what it did before.  When I bought this kit - it worked great and I really liked it.  Now, with all the changes Arlo has made - it has become a poor product.  Love the desktop/internet interface.  That is something Arlo has that nobody else does.  Last chance to say you are gone to fix these issues before I return these and buy something else.  

bagged84dime
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wished I could return mine.  Anyone else know of a good wireless camera that actualyl works like it should and that stands behind their product?

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know how they stand behind their products because I haven't had one yet, but I am looking at eufy - they are made by Anker - on Amazon.

homehome
Guide
Guide
Do not buy any Arlo model. Definitely not recommended.
Artrossler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Arlo and Netgear Support,

I have Microsoft Outlook 2010 and I am no longer receiving the preview image in my email alerts.

I see other people are experiencing this very same thing, and it has been determined that Arlo has changed the email format, that has caused this issue for so many of your customer base.

Please provide an answer to when is this going to be fixed?

homehome
Guide
Guide
Dear Arlo support,

Your product is not working as expected. Please fix it ASAP as you are compromising security wherever your product is used.

VueZone is coming to an end and Arlo is not working as expected!
homehome
Guide
Guide
Still no update on the issue. Arlo your product sucks. End of story. Your support is non-existent and I am surprised you market yourself as a leader in security cams.
treebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

They appear to have no intention of fixing the issue.

It's unclear at this point whether it's because they're unwilling, or simply incapable. Either way, it speaks volumes about their product.

Pro tip:  You don't put a security tool on the market and then leave glaring bugs unaddressed for months.  Not if you want to maintain the trust and support of your customers.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, I receive a email from Arlo support today saying my case has been updated - saying the case will be closed due to inactivity.  So I replied saying don't close the case.  The problem still exists.  Arlo has done nothing to resolve the issue.  We will see what happens.  I think Arlo support's Mo is to just wait until so much time goes by they close the case without fixing the issue.

Alohadog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wait, wait, wait. Inactivity? Do they know that this message thread exists? Are they weighting the importance of a complaint by how many people submit complaints? I guess we've been taking the wrong approach by not clogging up their complaint system and trusting JessiaP's word that they are working on the problem.

We must act like this is a petition!! The more complaints the better!!

Rueg(Steve), can you post the text, especially the subject, of your support request? We all need to submit support requests that look alike so Arlo knows we are all complaining about the same thing. This should shoot the problem up on their status reports.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Support Case # 40993411

Dear Steve,

Your case has been updated by Arlo Support.

Case #: 40993411

Case Summary: No thumbnail image on the email alerts

Product: VMB4000

Update from Arlo:

Hi, Steve.

It has been a few days since our last correspondence. Please provide us with an update to your case, so that we may continue to work on your issue if there is still a problem. If there is no response from you soon, your case will be closed due to inactivity.

When you contact us back, kindly refer the case number stated on the subject line for us to immediately pull up your information.

You may also take advantage of the following support options for a faster resolution:

• Phone support: 408-638-3750
• Live chat support: https://my.netgear.com/Arlo/ContactUs/Chat
• Online Community Forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Smart-Home-Security/ct-p/Arlo

Thank you for choosing ARLO.

Regards,

Francis
ARLO SUPPORT

To send a follow-up response, click on the following link:

https://www.arlo.com/portal/onlinecaseupdate.aspx?val=1UCBwHYIquF+K3SQEU52UYMqHIOOa5Sh6oQXw4VnE4pVq0...

Alternatively, you may reply to this email to update your case.

Please note: Do not change the subject line of the email when replying.

Thank you for choosing Arlo!

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have returned my Arlo Pro three-camera kit to Costco for a refund.  I will continue to watch these support threads to see if anything changes, but as of now I am looking for something non-Arlo.  Here is a list of things that have changed since I purchased my Arlo camera kit:

1. Image quality has gone downhill. Looking at videos – if I wouldn’t have known it was my wife, I would never have been able to ID her.  Resolution has gotten much worse.  When I bought the cameras the image quality was good.  Now, threw updates they have ruined the picture quality.  The night vision has gotten much worse as well.
  2. They removed the preview picture on email alerts (using Microsoft Outlook). These were such a handy feature - to give a quick snapshot of what was going on.  Worked when I bought the cameras, but hasn’t worked since the May 2019 updates.
  3. No low battery alert emails anymore. These used to work, but again seem to have stopped working with the May 2019 updates.
  4. Motion detection is worse. At night, the motion detection now works horribly.  I used to get critters showing up on my cameras.  Now, I see the light that is nearby the Arlo camera turn on – which is triggered by motion, but no Arlo videos anymore.  These used to work in tandem.  I find it funny it doesn’t catch vehicles pulling in and out of our driveway anymore either – it used to.  Camera hasn’t moved.  Again, this also changed with the May 2019 updates.
  5. Alert times have gotten much longer. Used to be I would receive the alert right after motion detection.  Now it sometimes takes a few minutes, sometime 5+, once in a great while an hour+.  Again, this changed during the May 2019 updates.

You need to roll back the May 2019 updates!  These have ruined your security cameras.  Arlo support has not been able to give any useful information about these issues being fixed.  It has been almost 3 months now and no new information.  I feel sorry for the support people, because I am sure they are not the ones doing the coding and making these changes and they have to deal with us angry end-users.  I don’t have much confidence that these issues will ever get fixed.  Most people don’t have an option of returning because they didn’t buy them at Costco.  Shame on you Arlo!  The product that people bought originally is not the same product as of today because you have broken your system through bad updates.

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Rueg - thanks for your detailed description of troubles.

I'll have to add my voice to your list.  In addition to the lack of email picture previews, I also have seen a signficant drop in both image quality and the sensitivity of motion detection - with videos cutting out right in the middle of people clearly moving in the center field of vision for the camera.

It's sad to see after investing so much money that they've allowed the product quality to worsen this way.... Lately, when neighbors or friends ask about wireless systems, I've had to advise against Arlo and to look elsewhere - I can't in good conscience recommend these products anymore...and I used to be a proponent....

Hey Arlo/Netgear - remember that *actions* speak louder than words.....or emails, or forum postings........  So, what are your actions (or rather inactions) telling us right now?

ScottK1
Guide
Guide

ARLO - time for an update!  Why no communication from support?  We sent them a bunch of nonsensical data and they don't fix it and they don't respond.

bagged84dime
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thinking of smashing my arlo system this coming weekend and making a youtube video of it.  I can't in my right mind sell this to someone else. 

frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

I filed an online complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  I would suggest everyone do the same.

The following day, support called me at home to open an incident. I have updated the online complaint with the info as I want the BBB to track it.  I then received a reply that basically said this a problem with Outlook and not their fault and to use push notifications, etc.

I replied back again that this is not acceptable, etc. etc.

Either way - I suggest you google BBB Complaint and you'll be directed to a form where you can find Arlo/NetGear.

ScottK1
Guide
Guide

This is not an Outlook problem.  It is widespread on almost all email programs.

@frankpgh wrote:

I filed an online complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  I would suggest everyone do the same.

The following day, support called me at home to open an incident. I have updated the online complaint with the info as I want the BBB to track it.  I then received a reply that basically said this a problem with Outlook and not their fault and to use push notifications, etc.

Either way - I suggest you google BBB Complaint and you'll be directed to a form where you can find Arlo/NetGear.

@frankpgh wrote:

ScottK1
Guide
Guide

I submitted a BBB complaint now.

DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

Yes, totally agree.

homehome
Guide
Guide

Got an email message asking me whether the issue has been resolved. And I am wondering to myself, how?? No updates, no repsonse from Arlo.....how can this be possibly be fixed? 

Bad service. Unfortunately I am out of US so I cannot file a complaint.