Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What are the little lights on the front of the camera for ?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
desmosabie
Aspirant
Aspirant
And when do they come on ? I know the blue one came on during intial sync setup but is there any other time they come on ? I don’t want the lights to come on for it would catch the eyes looking around, especially at night. Should i put ductape over them ?
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By default, the only other times the LED comes on is when fully charged (not an issue unless it's always powered in which case you can turn it off in Settings) or when the battery is almost dead where it will give a slow amber blink. No need to cover it.

Then there are the IR illuminators which are needed if you're wanting to record at night. If not, turn Night Vision off in Settings.

desmosabie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just for clarification, these IR illuminators, they are not on either side of the camera but, are within the area I’m guessing the motion sensor is in, correct ? Too, are the IR illuminators little lights themselves, that will catch your eye at night if you are giving brief looks around for a camera ?

Obviously, i’m really concerned about lights on the camera being spotted by these people in the court at night. Thanks.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The IR illuminators are in a ring around the lens. The motion detector seems to be in the lower half, possibly that little square you can see if you hold the camera right to bounce light off it. These are near infrared LEDs so are dimly visible to the naked eye. They're required if you want night vision unless there's other lighting that would suffice. Test it yourself - position the camera and trigger motion in the dak while watching what you see on the camera.