Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can get my camera to turn on and off with Smartthings with the Arlo base set to Armed, but I’m not using all my cameras with Smartthings. But any time in the Arlo Smartapp if I click save it changes it to the Smartthings setting.  But I’m not sure how to or if I can or want to use it. 

I have one camera inside that turn turn on when I leave the house via Smarthings. But my cameras outdoors stay on all the time. 

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@Hotsparks

When you use Smartthings to connect your cameras, a mode called Smartthings is created in Arlo. This has been broken for a long time and you shouldn't use it, in fact, you can delete it. 

Set up the rules for each camera in Arlo's Armed mode section, (motion and audio sensitivity, length of time to record - I would choose a fixed time versus when motion stops, etc.), leave the Arlo Mode in Armed all the time and let your Smartthings routines control which cameras you wish to activate for each situation, (maybe all the cameras activated when you are away or only the outside cameras on when you are home, etc.).

Note that basically all Smartthings does is to change the state of the on/off slider switches for the selected cameras with the exception that Smartthings allows you to start recordings from many various sensors, which Arlo soes not.

If you wish to use Arlo's geofencing or schedule, be aware that if Smartthings has the cameras disabled, Arlo's mode will chnage but no recordings will happen as Arlo works just the opposite from Smartthings. Arlo expects the cameras to be active all the time and the various modes/rules control which cameras to record when audio or motion is detected. Smartthings expects that the mode will not change from the Armed mode and will control the activations/deactivations of the selected cameras.

Brian

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. That is what I usually do is delete it and let ST control my camera. Of course when I save changes in the smartapp  it either sends it to ST setting or if deleted it sends it to disarmed in the Arlo app. Which for some reason I don’t recall noticing that before. Good to know im not missing something. Just had no idea how that was suppose to be used. But I guess with it being broken, that mute. 

Thanks again