Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Weather conditions in Detroit is an issue

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Marthorr
Follower
Follower
I have purchased the Arlo pro for my mom and I noticed that she has had issues with the tempature during snow season in Detroit. I have a warranty but they don't seem to hold a charge during the extreme temperatures currently in Detroit. I also purchased the Arlo solar panel for the two cameras. I read that the cameras will not perform properly when under 20 degrees. If that's the case do you have a weather skin or should I just look elsewhere. I saw the Arlo pro 2 has similar specs. Should I return the Arlo pro and try the Arlo pro 2 or are these going to be an issue under extreme temperatures.
3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras ( both Pro and Pro2 ) will NOT charge if below about 32F... doing so can harm the battery so it won't.

The skins in black speed up the warming of camera ( if in sun ) so it can charge but other than that it really helps hide the camera as opposed to keeping it warm.

If your in a really cold climate the cameras will also shut down at about -4F and not work until it comes above.

The only option for a really cold conditions is maybe a Q camera which will work thru glass ( the Pro/Pro2 don't ) .

As a last note , almost any camera outside has issues with cold, but it it is a wired camera then you can have it in a container with a form of heat and a fan for condensation...  YMMV , depends on your needs.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I am in SW Ontario (and not far from Detroit) have three of my Pro outside for around two  years with similar temperatures and snow. Haven’t been experiencing too many winter problems, the odd days (mostly during january/february) with temps -20c or lower, I might get the battery warning message.

However that seldom will last more than a few hours, max a full day. Battery will (should) survive that short a time before charging resumes. No camera ever stopped working, even at around -25c for a short time, whether running on a/c or battery only, they all kept on working throughout winter months.

Of course, it might help if installed under an overhang with some weather protection.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Recently it was 6 degrees fahrenheit with wind chills near zero and my outside camera was fine. You can't charge it at these temps, but the camera worked no issues at all. The winter in my neck of the woods are far more extreme than what you'd get in Detroit (temps below 30F for about 4 months straight, regularly in the single digits and below zero, and we average 88 inches of snow per year). So far my outside cameras are fine (first winter with outside cams).

I only have a couple winter months of experience with the cameras, but I would think the cameras should perform fine with the average winter temps and snow in Detroit.