Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dgalicinao
Follower
Follower

I have an Arlo Pro camera on our driveway but my Netgear WiFi C7100V connection is at the backroom of our house. Signal is very weak and only one small bar. Do I need to buy WiFi extender?  

31 REPLIES 31
Eliza2kids
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a weak signal on both my cameras when placed around the house. As a test, I put the cameras right next to the Arlo base and both cameras still read 'weak signal'. What's the issue?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What does the WiFi icon for each camera show on the Devices tab? That's the most reliable indication.

machinedaddy
Aspirant
Aspirant
You don't have to bye a new station. Almost any Netgear router will work really good. Even the Netgear nighthawk 4g/5g hotspot has a drop-down tab for the arlos. Works better then the station it came with.
machinedaddy
Aspirant
Aspirant
I believe the main reason for the direct connection to the station and then via Ethernet to router is to make it harder for some scumbag to hack the camera itself. With the extra protocols in place on the station in the router doesn't make it impossible but make it a lot harder. Sorry didn't mean to interrupt. Just trying to help
steve_t
Master Master
Master

@machinedaddy wrote:
You don't have to bye a new station. Almost any Netgear router will work really good. Even the Netgear nighthawk 4g/5g hotspot has a drop-down tab for the arlos. Works better then the station it came with.

Can you please screenshot this drop down menu you're talking about?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think he's referring to the M1 mobile hotspot which has Arlo functionality built-in although with a different firmware version than the bases. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@jguerdat wrote:

I think he's referring to the M1 mobile hotspot which has Arlo functionality built-in although with a different firmware version than the bases. 

I wondered that or maybe an R7000 on really old firmware? But that's not "Almost any Netgear router"