Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video back up Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Gunner86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey all, new to Arlo Pro. I just purchased my system yesterday and I absolutely love it. Everything is set up and I spent a lot of time navigating the app and tweaking the system. Very user friendly.

The one complaint I have and maybe this could be addressed and made possible, every video I have triggered by motion, it shows only half of the footage. For example, a car rolls by and the video starts when the car is almost out of the field of view. Now I really don't care about not being able to watch a car rolling by from beginning to end, my worry is half video for when it's important. The sensitivity for all my cameras are set to 100% so I'm thinking this shouldn't be happening. Now I've read reviews from some unhappy customers regarding this and there's even videos on YouTube regarding this as well when it was important such as package theft.

The way this problem could be resolved and make these unhappy customers happy would be to have the system record a specific time prior to the trigger... say 10 to 15 seconds would probably suffice.

For example: I'm a police officer and we have dash cameras in our patrol units. The dash cam is not recording the entire time, much like the Arlo system. When I activate my emergency lights the system starts recording however it adds 30 seconds of video prior to me activating the system. That way, in many cases, the video shows the problem I saw, such as a traffic violation, which was the cause for me activating the system. Now I realize in order for this to happen the system is, in reality, recording at all times, however, if the system is not activated it continuoisly overwrites itself in 30 second intervals.

I hope to get a reply on this or how I can set my system up as to where this isn't a issue. Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There's multiple parts to this reply.

The cameras have to detect motion and create a connection to the servers. That lag can be a minimum of 2 seconds or several more if various conditions exist (poor connection to the base and server, etc.). The need to connect to the server as opposed to local storage is the big cause.

That means positioning is important. The closer the subject and the more it's moving across the FOV, not directly towards the camera, the better the detection and, thus the faster the recording.

The lack of prebuffering is due to the battery operated nature - if it were always recording so it was available for the actual recording, the more battery life would suck. The Q cameras are powered, always streaming and provide the pre-buffer. They also use a different detection method so lag is minimized.

Keep 'em coming. The issues are often surmountable.
Gunner86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Copy thanks for the reply. You're right, for it to have the same function as our dash cams have it would always have to be recording and battery life would be terrible. I guess I'll have to continue to tweak it and hopefully I'll find the sweet spot. Thanks for the reply.