Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ordinary1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi All.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Since the early hours of yesterday morning (25th April) UK time all of my Arlo Pro cameras have been suffering from extreme pixelation in both live view and motion detection recordings. The location of the cameras and base station have not changed for months.

The base station is VMB4000r3 on firmware 1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

The four cameras are version H8 1.092.0.25_24_986

The pixelated video is also present on local USB storage suggesting a local issue.

I have checked WiFi strength using an analyser and all is good. All cameras have three bars in the Arlo app.

One of the cameras is within ten feet of the base station with no obstructions and is suffering the same.

I have noticed that a camera firmware update was issued in the last few days. Are there any known problems that could have caused such a drastic change in system performance?

530 REPLIES 530
dcfox1
Master
Master

@LP79 

I can see your post that says wont let me post anymore and several other earlier today. 

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
You wont see JamesC , Jessica, Shane or any admin, mod or employee respond to these reply's due to them being scared to.

I can put my cameras on live view and sit there and watch them (1 at a time) go from bad to fuzzy blurry its a mess. I have almost 2 grand tied up in this system and it performs like a 50 buck cheap camera system. I wish I could find CEO Matt Mcrae email address other then twitter to notify him of these issues. Time to contact BBB.

GIVE IT SOME TIME AND THIS REPLY WILL BE DELETED LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO.
Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice
Can we all direct message his twitter until he does something maybe? I just want to know if this is how it’s going to be or if they are looking into it.
LP79
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried to post a network analyzer synopsis several times, but it disappears as soon as I post...so i took a screenshot image of the post that is disappearing and put it up. That lasted for a little while but now just shows "image unmoderated" placeholder. Unmoderated my ....

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have to say that I am a little puzzled by this chatter (initiated apparently by some moron in "tech support" at Arlo) about router wifi signal strength.

I am interested for someone to explain to me how the router's wifi signal is involved at all. As far as I know the connection for many goes something like this;

• Arlo camera talks to Arlo base station through a wifi signal between the two of them (the router is not involved at all, wifi or wired).
  • Then the Arlo base station talks to the router via a hardwired ethernet cable (the router's wifi is not involved). Or,
  • The Arlo base station uploads the video to the Arlo servers via a hardwired ethernet cable to the router and then a high speed fibre optic cable for my internet connection (the router's wifi is not involved).
  • Then, in my case (and others may be different if they use a wifi connected laptop), my desktop talks to my router via a hardwired ethernet cable (the router's wifi is not involved).

So, in my case (and I am sure I am not unique here), the ONLY time my router's wifi is involved is if I access my Arlo cameras from my phone while I am inside my house, which is fairly rare. If I access from my desktop, not router wifi is used, and if I access via phone while away from home, no router wifi is used.

So, if Arlo can explain to me how my router's wifi has ANYTHING to do with the Arlo performance I am all ears.

The other thing, of course, that renders this whole argument complete BS is the fact the right now the 2 original Arlo (yes, original 720P, not Pro) cameras are producing considerably better quality video when connected to the same base station as my 3 Pro 2 cameras, which was certainly not the case in March 2019 when I got the Pro 2 cameras. The fact that both versions of the cameras are connected to the same base station, same router, same internet connection, same desktop etc etc but the originals are unaffected while the Pro 2 have turned to custard makes it pretty clear that it is an Arlo thing, and has nothing to do with the environment that they are operating in.

I would be happy if Arlo reverted the firmware updates on these cameras (to get them back to a genuine 1080P) and then gave us the choice whether to download any future updates - which is what pretty much every other device I own (phones, tablets, Canon cameras & lenses, Tv, Av receiver, router, software etc etc) does. Arlo is the ONLY company I can think of that just pushes through updates without notification or choice - it just happens.

LP79
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've heard a couple positive things about Wyze cameras and they do have an outdoor battery model coming out. The only reason I own these cameras is because they are truly wire free. I could never get the views of my home i was looking for without digging trenches and installing cable with regular cameras.

Here is a link to an article about the Wyze Cam:

https://zatznotfunny.com/2020-04/wyze-outdoor-cam/

I'll be testing them when I can get my hands on one.

Also if anyone knows anything about how to hack the arlo hardware, please share. this would still be a good camera system if i can get their cloud out of the mix. With a good quality local recording i could have it realtime sync with the cloud. Arlo...if your not going to support these cameras, just release a tool to use them locally and get out of people hair. There is literally not a single person that has any loyalty left to Arlo products after the experience you have delivered your customers for the last 2 years. You are on your way out of business so at least as a parting gift please unlock my hardware.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Well, the truth isn't supposed to come out. What did you expect?

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

So everyone here that posted in this thread has wifi router interference issues, huh? LOLOL

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Funny part is indont use wifi, hard wired cat6 only here. The only wifi is between base and cams. Replacing these now with a nvr.

Ordinary1
Apprentice
Apprentice

On May 11th, Arlo held their Q1 Earnings Update call.

The following from CEO Matthew McRae provides some insight on their strategy…

The driving factor behind the success is our new business model, which features a limited 90-day trial of Arlo Smart, our industry leading cloud storage and computer vision service. The first quarter of 2020 was the first time we had a material number of trials expire, and our subscription growth provides an early view into our future."

“While subscription conversion rates on our legacy business model hovered around 5%, early data indicates that the estimated subscription conversion rates for the new business model is around 50%, five zero and we're expecting a substantially lower churn rate. This order of magnitude increase in subscription attach rates will transform the business as Arlo continues to end of life legacy products that include free storage, and introduces new products that incorporate the new business model."

“Upcoming product launches will complete our phase out of the legacy products and channel sell-through should be nearly complete by year's end"

“We have done a good job at actually, mining that legacy base…But the bulk of this transformational kind of change in subscriber is coming in on a quarterly basis, is coming from the new business model."

It is clear that Arlo wish to move as many people as possible to their subscription model as this is what is fundamentally driving their growth. If only 5% of Pro/Pro 2 users with 7 days free storage are converting to the monthly subscription model then I suspect their efforts are now fully focused on the new business model and we are seeing this in shoddy firmware updates and a lack of support.

Interesting that they still plan to sell legacy Pro/Pro 2 products until the end of the year. Imaging being a new customer picking one of those up today!

Hey Arlo – here’s an idea. If you want to mine the legacy base further why don’t you provide transparency to existing users. For example, you remain committed to 7 days free storage for legacy users. In order to maintain quality of service Pro/Pro 2 users have access to a two tier system – 1) continue free access with full local USB picture quality and a reduced cloud recording quality or 2) upgrade to the monthly subscription service with full quality cloud recordings.

Rather than throwing away $1000 systems, replacing them with your competitors, threatening legal action and creating bad feedback on your major retail channels/social media, your legacy customers may just pay up and they then fold into your new business model as profitable subscribers ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

So everyone here that posted in this thread has wifi router interference issues, huh? LOLOL

I don't think anyone has claimed that.

We have of course seen some cases of wifi interference, so it is generally a possibility that needs looking into when someone has a connection issue.

But something going on in the firmware seems more likely, given the uptick in reports here, as well as the large number of vertical stripe artifacts (which weren't common at all before).

TerryHoss
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was looking at the recordings on my system from yesterday and I just can't believe how bad it really is. I've seen images of Bigfoot on television that are better quality.

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wow, that Q1 Earnings Update is disheartening to owners of the legacy products. I don't care about cloud storage. I just want local recording and I want it to work. Right now I have local storage turned off because it doesn't work or crashes the app when I try to access it. After that news, my empty threats of switching to another system might just become reality.
TerryHoss
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just wanted to add that my home wifi is not handled by my router/ modem but with a separate Mesh wifi system. I can and have turned the Mesh system off so that I don’t have any wifi for testing.

Of course this made absolutely no difference at all in the way the Arlo Pro system worked or the poor quality video I’m getting now. So don’t believe them when they say the issue has something to do with your wifi.

MJNL
Guide
Guide
The WiFi excuse makes no sense.
I need a good security camera system with decent resolution and will ditch Arlo after leaving reviews online.
Can anyone recommend another brand that actually records acceptable quality video?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LP79 wrote:

That lasted for a little while but now just shows "image unmoderated" placeholder. Unmoderated my ....

Embedded images all need to be mod-approved before they are visible to others.  They are actually pretty fast at reviewing/releasing them - but they can sometimes get backed up.

Personally I think there are good reasons for having a person review public images.

LP79
Apprentice
Apprentice

threatening legal action? These are not threats for me. Netgear put it on the box and they are liable. The sad part is that i would easily pay a fee for better service, but I have tried it and the monthly service breaks my cameras. i cant even get notifications anymore when i'm on a smart plan. I mean I've never seen such a ignorant stupid company before. They leave them selves completely defenseless against broad legal action and refuse additional monthly money to fix their infrastructure by making the paid experience actually worse than the free if that is even possible.  I will cheer at the bankruptcy or ARLO because it will give me a glint of hope that capitalism isn't dead.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

I don't think anyone has claimed that.

We have of course seen some cases of wifi interference, so it is generally a possibility that needs looking into when someone has a connection issue.

But something going on in the firmware seems more likely, given the uptick in reports here, as well as the large number of vertical stripe artifacts (which weren't common at all before).

We've both been on this forum for a while, so let's have a moment of truth here. Either 1) this firmware release wasn't tested properly (hard to believe they wouldn't have observed the horrible video quality) or, and this is the one people are really getting riled up about, 2) Arlo is intentionally trying to cripple the legacy systems. This is like deja vu, we just went thru the same dang thing in May 2019, you can search the posts here.

That Q1 earnings call posted above by another user is about as telling as you can get. Sure is looking like a malicious business practice to force more subscriptions and new products. Planned obsolescence on a really pricey product doesn't exactly win over your customers.

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but it's interesting that Arlo mods aren't chiming in here when I see them responding in other threads. This one is very active, so it should be on someone's radar.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Just replaced my sad waste of money arlo with a bunch of 80 dollar ip cameras. Couldnt be happier. My crisp 1080p video is stored on memory cards in cameras and backed up on my google drive and a ftp as well. No lag live view is nice. Whats funny is these use my wifi and no issues. Just posting this here because it was an easy cost effective solution to leaving this trap and my system now feels better than arlo ever did.
MJNL
Guide
Guide
Can you please share which system you got that you’d recommend? I need to exchange my Arlo cameras for ones that work.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mamarcac wrote:

We've both been on this forum for a while, so let's have a moment of truth here. Either 1) this firmware release wasn't tested properly (hard to believe they wouldn't have observed the horrible video quality) or, and this is the one people are really getting riled up about, 2) Arlo is intentionally trying to cripple the legacy systems. 

Personally I think it's a firmware problem, and not an intentional attempt to cripple the legacy systems.  

Clearly Arlo needs people to transition to paid subscription plans in order to be successful.   But crippling the legacy systems wouldn't achieve that.  Plus the people I know who work there are better than that.

Macarioc
Guide
Guide

Anyone replacing the Arlo cameras with ones that work please include brand/model  so that others may follow.....

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I sincerely hope you're right. When I purchased and installed this sytem, I planned on continuing to purchase upgraded Arlo products as I need them. I purchased the Arlo Video Doorbell recently. It certainly doesn't make sense to cripple the legacy products, because when one of my Pro2 cameras goes out I will just replace it with another brand rather than a Pro3 or Ultra. In my case though, the doorbell is more crappy than the Pro2 cameras that are further away (even if I lower resolution). This morning the doorbell recorded in all white one time, pixelated in a couple others, and took decent recordings a couple other times (laggy though). I really don't care what the issues are; I just want them fixed yesterday.
Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes I can’t believe a Mod can’t just reply good or bad. We need to know whether to hang on or move on. Pretty sad if you ask me. It’s not hard to see they have been on and around the board and even chatting in other discussions.