Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor

Seems to be difficult to get a simple question answered. No matter how you type it in you get more crap all around the question but nothing clear.
So Here goes.
I want to run 5 cameras 3 from my original & the two I just bought on the same internet tied together to hopefully get these cameras to pick up something other than them walking away They will go off on a shadow or leaf blowing across but won’t pick up a full grown man crossing until you see the back of his head. Hoping running 2 routers together will help.

7 REPLIES 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

People buy additional bases for either expanding the number of cameras for coverage while staying on the basic subscription, or for signal strength location to broaden area coverage. Camera / base signal strength is important, but doubling up bases for cameras in the same location does nothing (except complicate how you view your cameras) especially if there are only five cameras operating.

If your signal strength is acceptable (a couple of bars, but I have one camera that from time to time runs fine on one),camera motion capture is more based on sensitivity settings, location, camera position, and differential in moving object's temperature. 

Your experience is common. It can be tweaked with sensitivity, position, and location, but there could be some delay, especially if movement is directly toward the camera. IR detects heat movement across the field and if the heat signature stays stable in the field it may not start recording, until change is detected.

If you want to put multiple cameras viewing the same position, make sure thay will cover different potential movement vectors at 45 to 90 degrees of each other. No additional base needed or helpful.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned above, Placement is as important as the sense level adjust....

I originally had to move my first camera 3x to get things perfect.

For exp, I had to move my camera away from the front door facing out to out farther facing the door... this allowed me to get people walking in and faces as they left

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor
(Morse) not sure what you mean.
Anyway I had a 3 camera system & bought another 2 camera with a second base station thinking I would move one closer to the farthest camera. What I read is you can’t do this. Well Arlo cant do this because it’s got to be possible in today’s technology. You can other netgear routers. I don’t want a second account but do want to add another base station for more distance. I need to know if this is possible without having to look for days for an answer.
Moving or adjusting the cameras is not going to help as I’ve moved them every way possible. Thank You for any help on the 2nd base station only.
Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor
No I don’t think it’s position or sensitivity but more of a quality in the system itself. I mean If they pick up a car being the farthest thing away in the road going by & a shadow on the driveway or a leaf ,wasp moving but they can’t pick up a man walking across the driveway or then walking up to the front door until they get there& ooen the storm door &!all I get from both cameras is the backside of their head already gone past then the second camera can’t even pick them up coming towards the front door then it’s a quality flaw in the infrared sensing or along that line. Like I said They get a car driving by but even that is the back of the car already past my next door neighbors house. I have literally had a man walk around the corner see the camera above the front door & have time to turn around to look away. All I caught was barley the side of his head before he walked away.
I think the sensor is poir & being to far away (which im not even close to being) is the reason for this problem. The poor sensors waste time them the poor reception waste the rest of the critical time. Your always left with them walking away.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jbtopps wrote:
(Morse) not sure what you mean.
Anyway I had a 3 camera system & bought another 2 camera with a second base station thinking I would move one closer to the farthest camera. 

You can use as many bases on one account as you wish. The limitation is for the max number of cameras for your plan, 5 for the free plan.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it's due to positioning and the need to position properly to minimize IR reflections from large objects like vehicles. You'll never "fix" and issue with insects or birds or other wildlife. The sensors work fine when you understand the operation of PIR sensors (Google it) and read the FAQ here on best positioning of the camera. Of course, not every situation can be solved since there needs to be a place to properly attach the cameras but you can also be creative. Some folks use two cameras with cross-linked rules so when one detects they both record and others have hidden cameras in fence posts and bird houses, among other things.

Thinking you can slap any camera up and have it work perfectly every time is an exercise in futility.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Cars are hot. People are not as hot as cars. If you have your camera pointed at a street, and are using the basic plan, and you pick up cars going by on the street and not people walking about, then it is about position and sensitivity. For example,right out my front door is the cul-de-sac end of a street  People are always coming down the dead end by mistake or just coming and going to their houses. Pointing the camera that direction, with the sensitivity increased to insure picking up people coming to my door would drive me nuts. The front door camera, then is viewing only a fraction of the street, at and angle to the direct path to the door, with the sensitivity set at 85%. As an option, I have another camera twenty feet away on the eave of the house pointing acroos the walkway to the front door. That one also triggers the front door. No cars, just people and dogs ... and the occasional curious wasp.