Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Upcoming Arlo solar panel

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
_LA
Follower
Follower
Any word on availability of the new solar panel? And will this new solar panel work with both the Arlo & Arlo Pro cameras?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Solar Panel will be for Arlo Pro or Arlo Go Wire-Free cameras. Targeted market availability for the solar panel is early 2017 but I do not have a specific release date at this time.

Keep posted for an update on release and for more information, see here: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

JamesC

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No word, and it is for the PRO only

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Solar Panel will be for Arlo Pro or Arlo Go Wire-Free cameras. Targeted market availability for the solar panel is early 2017 but I do not have a specific release date at this time.

Keep posted for an update on release and for more information, see here: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

JamesC

Snowboard1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just found some info on the solar panel for the Arlo Pro while searching for a system. This would be perfect as I am in a busy urban area and will need to install high up on a brick wall... no easy way to get power cord or to change the battery...    Any update on availability?   Early 2017 has passed 🙂

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Snowboard1,

I have requested an update. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I'm assuming March is no longer a release date? Problem is, Arlo has a few other products on it's website with "Coming soon" listed. The Solar Panels have'nt t even gotten that far yet. I'm guessing it's still months off. To bad becasue so many of us have been waiting for months. 

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree with you Drake! I didn't even know about the solar panels, until a coworker mentioned them to me. I thought he had bumped his head, until I looked them up on the forums. IF they were coming out anytime soon, they would be advertised in the accessories section and they are not. I just received my 2-battery charger yesterday, so I am fine for now, but ultimately want two of these solar panels! Take care and thanks! 

Sc0rPs
Guide
Guide

Would just adding your own void the warranty? It is simple enough, and battery maintaining solar panels are quite dirt cheap.

jasonx101
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried using the Ring Solar panel but the camera reported that it couldn't be charged using a non Arlo charger/panel.

I'm not sure if this is just a message or if the camera is also stopping the charge getting through.

arobbins
Initiate
Initiate

Once the solar panel comes out, I will buy the Arlo Go.  It is now April 28th........

SilverSentinel
Star
Star
So it is now May 2017 and still nothing huh? Early 2017? I am guessing you guys will just release a new system with solar panels built into the cameras instead of releasing an add-on panel and try to suck even more money out of people?

Pathetic.
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

The bottom line to all this is simple. NETGEAR/Arlo has never been honest with it's customers on this solar product. Unfortunately most US corperations do the same. All they need to do is be transparent with it's customers, pretty simple concept! Stop dangling this carrott in front of us.

Although I've been generally happy with my system, after I first got it I was quick to recomend it to friends and neighbors, even strangers in the Best Buy aisle. At this point I'm a little hesitant because of them. In my experience, Apple seems to be the only tech company that puts customers first. 

Sc0rPs
Guide
Guide

I believe they will sell it ASAP, but they probably discovered a one size fits all solar panel does not work as well as they thought. Take a look at a map that shows sun hours in your area, different area around the globe, even in a country get different.

Then of course after they find a good balanced one, which may not be enough for those is cloudier climates, they will need to seek a third party to manufacture them as I believe netgear doesn't have that ability.

Their ambitious timelines didn't work out, no need to act like a wounded bird. You bought a system your happy with and had no idea of these panels when purchasing. You want them to get it right or push out something that may not be up to task?

Myself, I am actually waiting on the next Arlo system. This one relies too heavily on the internet and a third party to be a real security system.

SilverSentinel
Star
Star
Don't hold your breath Scorps. When they design another system it will rely just as heavily on the internet. That is the actual money maker for them on this product, the subscription model. If you are waiting for them to release a system that has local built in DVR functionality, you may as well give up on any chance of acquiring a camera system at all.
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

ScOrPs,

All they have to do is be honest about the time frame. Pretty novel idea. The ONLY reason we have any of these projected dates is because we keep hounding them. And yes, when I purchased my units back in November they had advertised the upcoming solar panel for early 2017. As for the design issues with these units, it's a pretty basic concept that has been out for years. 

If it's not expected to be out until 2018 then fine, just tell us that. Sorry for the rant!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SilverSentinel wrote:
Don't hold your breath Scorps. When they design another system it will rely just as heavily on the internet. That is the actual money maker for them on this product, the subscription model.

I don't know that's actually true.  They've been up front with how to use multiple accounts to use >5 cameras.

Sc0rPs
Guide
Guide

Drake3287 wrote:

ScOrPs,

All they have to do is be honest about the time frame. Pretty novel idea. The ONLY reason we have any of these projected dates is because we keep hounding them. And yes, when I purchased my units back in November they had advertised the upcoming solar panel for early 2017. As for the design issues with these units, it's a pretty basic concept that has been out for years. 

If it's not expected to be out until 2018 then fine, just tell us that. Sorry for the rant!

I do agree it would be nice of them to give updates since they did officially announce this is being worked on, still it is what it is. Even if to say things got delayed.

Sc0rPs
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:

SilverSentinel wrote:
Don't hold your breath Scorps. When they design another system it will rely just as heavily on the internet. That is the actual money maker for them on this product, the subscription model.

I don't know that's actually true.  They've been up front with how to use multiple accounts to use >5 cameras.

Well that's really up to them, and it does make sense to maximize profits. Although I can't consider this a real security system until it is self contained, they should work on making cloud service appealing enough that people may want to use it. Having your system go out just because your internet provider goes down, or this cloud system does... or even hacked is not acceptable to me.

Guess I'll check out other wireless self contained systems like the one swann has.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Just cameras can't be considered a "real" security system. They're just cameras.
Sc0rPs
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:
Just cameras can't be considered a "real" security system. They're just cameras.

No, but they should be considered as part of a "real" security system.

SIPAnkhDVA
Initiate
Initiate

When will you guys provide a concrete answer and stop repeating like parrots early 2017! Early 2017 is long gone so stop point us all to an oudated post about solar panel that means NOTHING. We are now half way into 2017 and early 2017 no longer drinks water, so either your company is or is not releasing solar panel charger for cameras. I am one of those that is willing to purchase your system, but only and only if it comes with solar panel capability. So what will it be ?

BretD
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi All,

The Arlo Solar panel should be hitting stores soon, so we've updated some help documentation on it should you have questions out of the box.

Here are some helpful Arlo Solar Panel links below:

Where can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?
How do I position the Arlo Solar Panel to get the most sunlight?
How do I set up the Arlo Solar Panel to power my Arlo Pro Wire-Free or Arlo Go camera?
How does the Arlo Solar Panel work? (formerly called "How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?")
____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.