Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Randykirkpatric
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am unable to record more than 7 days on a 1TB local storage. I can see I have a 931.40 GB (1TD) drive and it's only using 50.85 GB but it will only show 7 days I'm my library. And now one of my 4 cameras stopped recording altogether.

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While this could be due to various issues, have you ejected the drive for viewing on a computer to verify lack of recordings? I assume the 931.4GB size is reported by Arlo and isn't just a computation? Is the drive powered by the hub or via an external power supply? The USB port is USB2.x so there could be an issue with the drive trying to draw too much current compared to what the port can supply. 

BTW, a moderately-sized thumb drive is generally much easier to work with for this purpose, is much cheaper and less expensive.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Randykirkpatric 

Just to add another thought is that the app library only shows arlo cloud storage which is different to the base station backup storage.

If your cameras came with the free 7days cloud storage then they would only last 7days in the arlo library. 

The base station storage will last until the drive is full or begins overwriting at 80% capacity if configured.

what model camera and base do you have?

Randykirkpatric
Aspirant
Aspirant

I put a 1Tb thumb drive on and removed the ssd drive. But when I try to format the new thumb drive I get an error message saying it failed to format 

Randykirkpatric
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base station is VMB4000 and the cameras are a mix of Arlo pro , pro 2 and 1 new essential with spot light.

Randykirkpatric
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok the seven days in the library would explain that. 
so if I need to see anything I need to remove the drive and use a computer to view the recording if it is past 7 days?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You can extend the arlo cloud storage with a subscription plan to 30days or 60days if you’re in EU.

If you replace the base station with a hub VMB4540, 5000 it will give you in app access to the backup storage files that you can download to view but still limited to the arlo cloud library cycle, so you still need to remove the storage device to view on your pc.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Randykirkpatric wrote:

so if I need to see anything I need to remove the drive and use a computer to view the recording if it is past 7 days?

Yes.  

Randykirkpatric
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok great. Now why do you think the 1 TB thumb drive I added will not format?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Randykirkpatric wrote:

Now why do you think the 1 TB thumb drive I added will not format?

Not sure.  

If you have a Windows PC, try connecting to the PC.  Go into the windows disk manager and remove any partitions (Windows calls then "Volumes").  The reinitialize the thumb drive.

Easeus Partition Manager can then be used to format the drive as FAT32.  There are other options (including using the Windows CMD interface).

Randykirkpatric
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you i will do that