Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ILoveArlo
Guide
Guide

I don't currently own the Arlo Pro so I am unable test this. If I want the Arlo Pro to be plugged in running off of AC power am I able to have the battery in the camera as a backup in the event that the power goes out and have the battery keep the camera running until the AC power is restored? Or does the battery have to be removed from the Arlo Pro to run off of AC power?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

ILoveArlo wrote:

I don't currently own the Arlo Pro so I am unable test this. If I want the Arlo Pro to be plugged in running off of AC power am I able to have the battery in the camera as a backup in the event that the power goes out and have the battery keep the camera running until the AC power is restored? Or does the battery have to be removed from the Arlo Pro to run off of AC power?

Thanks

On the latter instance, running system with power off: what would your Arlo Pro be sending its video to if your power is out? Do you have your base station; and if out, your LAN (home network) and WAN (Internet modem) on battery? Unless you at least have UPS for base at least the camera would have nowhere to send its video feed.

On former, running off of AC (ie converted to DC via the wall power converter) continuously:

1) outdoors is a bit complex as you would need to seal up the weatherproofing; and

b) the wall wart charger that comes with the Arlo Pro is matched to the battery pack. That battery pack is not standard and may rely on relatively circuitry (fast charge for example)  that is in the branded wall wart. So if multiple cameras you will need to spend on more chargers as well.

In short, if you are going to run it wired,frankly there is no reason to get the Arlo, as there are many many alternate products. And if you want battery for power outage you need to be able to power your base as well

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had the original arlo and wanted it powered constantly so I modified with alligator clips and an AC/DC power supply. Works great.

Recently purchased the Pro for the few extra features and especially since I didn't have to modify it for constant power. Unfortunately the usb connection is not designed for outdoors. I plan on installing a skin and sealing the usb connection with either silicone or mastic where it plugs into the camera.

I WOULD highly recommend the arlo pro for wired outdoor. Of course both my cameras are soffit mounted to my garage and I am able to easily run the wire up into the attic for power.

They are about 13 feet up so there is no way I want to be going up there in the middle of winter changing out batteries.

ILoveArlo
Guide
Guide

@DaveWoj Have you to had the chance to test if the battery can be in the Arlo Pro when running on power and if it switches to battery if the power is temporarily lost? The usb connection is actually designed for outdoors because that's what the solar panel will use, I think the issue is the cable they included. I'm interested in seeing how the solar panel usb connection creates a waterproof seal.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have not.

I never even inserted the battery, it is still in the box.

As Psaras mentioned, the battery does you no good if your base station goes out also.

I can only assume that the camera would run on power even with the battery in it, the same as a cell phone being charged or plugged in.

The only reason I would put the battery in is if I didn't want to see a wire running to it indoors and wanted a cleaner installation or if it was outdoors in an area that was not accessible to running power.

I am constantly monitoring my house in the live view to check weather conditions during storms and just fore the heck of it. The battery wouldn't last long for me and using the constant power for the last year is nice knowing I never have to touch it, reposition it etc.

Even if you run it on batteries outdoors, you will at some point need to take it off the mount to charge. Mine is on a screw ball head mount so I don't want to be unscrewing it and putting it back up and repositioning it especially in the Winter.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh and I'm not sure what solar panel you are talking about that takes a usb connection

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks I didn't know about that.

That does bring up the question about whether it plugs in with the same type of micro usb cord or connector.

I read somewhere (may have been a review) that the usb was not weatherproof.

I would assume that it doesn't have anything to do with cord (especially if the outlet is indoors) but has to do with the micro connector not making a weatherproof seal when inserted.

Maybe the solar panel connector has some silicone boot over it.

I had to trim off the rubber plug that was hanging out once I inserted the USB connector. Especially when I go to seal around it with either mastic tape or silicone since it's in the way.

Temporarily I have an old arlo skin on it that I had to cut to make it fit until the Pro skins are available.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You may want to follow this thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/USB-Constant-Power-Weatherproofing/m-p/1161874#U1161874

James responded and may have our answer regarding the USB connection and warranty issues for exterior use.