Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Peterdgreco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the Arlo Pro system, a Smartthings hub and a Smartthings door sensor. When the Arlo system is armed and the door is opened (likely by an intruder), I'd like the base station siren to turn on. Does anyone know how to do this? I tried looking for a recipe/applet on IFTTT but cant find one. Thx 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

In the SmartThings app, look under SmartApps.  Do you see "Arlo (Connect) listed?  If so, under the My Home tab and under the Things listing, you should see both your camera(s) listed by name.  Yes?

Go into the Automtation tab and find one of your routines, and click on the setup button in the upper right corner.  Under the command (the first one) it says "Turn on these lights or switches".  your camera(s) should be listed if you click that.

Make sure you delete the SmartThings mode (there is a major defect) and only used the Armed mode to allow smartthings to turn off and on the cameras.  You edit the Armed mode appropriately for camera record settings, etc.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

You don't need IFTTT, if I understand what you are trying to do.  The SmartThings app has functionality to do all that--in fact *I COULD* but I don't and specifically make sure the siren doesn't go off.  How far have you got into the SmartThings app?  It takes a little time to figure it all out.

Anyhow, I think if you want to do it in IFTTT, you:

If SmartThings (you'll be asked for permission to connect) <sensor detects motion> (you get a laundry list of your installed sensors under the SmartThings app)

Then SmartThings (Arlo Camera Server to enable siren)

I just breezed through the IFTTT website and it looks like that would work.

Peterdgreco
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Boss281
Thx for taking the time to respond. With your advice, I was able to trigger the siren when the smartthings door sensor opened. I accomplished that thru the smartthings app, like you said. I'm new to home automation. Now I need to figure out how to trigger the Arlo camera to record during that same event.
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

In the SmartThings app, look under SmartApps.  Do you see "Arlo (Connect) listed?  If so, under the My Home tab and under the Things listing, you should see both your camera(s) listed by name.  Yes?

Go into the Automtation tab and find one of your routines, and click on the setup button in the upper right corner.  Under the command (the first one) it says "Turn on these lights or switches".  your camera(s) should be listed if you click that.

Make sure you delete the SmartThings mode (there is a major defect) and only used the Armed mode to allow smartthings to turn off and on the cameras.  You edit the Armed mode appropriately for camera record settings, etc.

Hope that helps.

Peterdgreco
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Boss281
Thx so much for your advice. I followed your instructions and was able to program the smartthings app to control my arlo system (for the most part). The defect in the "SmartThings Mode" within the Arlo app, was that the cameras would keep disabling. Have you heard if there's a firmware patch coming for that?
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Right, the SmartThing mode, while you can edit the defaults (which include a very sensitive audio trigger) revert back to default after one or two camera on/off cycles.  The workaround for now is to delete the SmartThing mode, select the Armed mode, and let the SmartThing app control the cameras through the Armed mode, which DOES retain any edits to camera properties.  It's a pain, but we're hoping one or both parties are working on a solution.