Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Traveling with Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Hooke
Initiate
Initiate

Can I take the base station and camera with me when I'm staying at a hotel and use it to watch my car in the parking lot at night even without an Internet connection?  I realize I would need to plug a USB drive into the base station.  I guess the question is, once the base station and camera are paired, do you still need an Internet connection for them to talk to each other?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a very good question BTW....

If the base looses internet connection AND the memory USB drive was set up, it will continue to record to the thumb drive as previously set.

But NOT sure if you unplug it and replug it in will it retain the settings...It should, but not 100% sure. I haven't tested it yet.

@JamesC  ... James, can you answered that one?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Ducktaper
Star
Star

Even if it did retain the ability to record onboard you wouldn't receive a push or email notification of a trigger event without that interweb connection. 

Now if you had set-up so motion activated that siren...yikes!

Hooke
Initiate
Initiate

The car is alarmed.  The point of having the camera in it sending pictures back to base station storage is to have a picture of the person who is driving off it, who tried to break in, or who hit it with his car. You give the photo to the police.  It might even get the license plate of the car.  I recently read about someone in my neighborhood who was able to give the police footage from his security camera of people who broke into a neighbor's house.  And the neighborhood listserver constantly has complaints from people whose cars were rifled through at night.  Naturally, everyone was sure he locked his car.  Shoot, Netgear might find a market with car manufacturers to install cameras in cars for these purposes.